Community Message Boards

Thread: applesauce and oil ratio

Post applesauce and oil ratio

Is there a tried and true ratio to substitute applesauce for oil??

J, I read somewhere (the source is LONG forgotten!) that you may substitute half of the oil with applesauce. I've experimented with this ratio for a while and found that sometimes I can substitute more, other times I can't. And sometimes that half is too much. So, as a rule of thumb, I usually reduce the oil by half and add a slightly higher amount of applesauce for the first time I try a recipe and make adjustments from there. For example, if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I would use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup + 1 or 2 Tablespoons of applesauce or other fruit puree. (I found baby food jars work wonders! The beechnut tropical one is great.)

Hope this helps.
    Kim

Here is some info from www.canadianliving.com
    It covers your applesauce question as well as other ideas.

MAKE LIGHT OF BAKING

While a smaller portion or slice of a favourite dessert is a good start to healthier eating, you can also try lightening up some of your dessert recipes. Here's how.

•Choose recipes calling for cocoa powder rather than chocolate; cocoa powder is virtually fat-free.
    •Use skim, 1% or 2% milk instead of whole milk.
    •Replace up to one-third of the specified sugar with fruit juice.
    •Mash bananas or purée applesauce to replace up to one third of the oil, butter or margarine in muffin recipes.
    •Substitute yogurt for sour cream in quick-bread recipes.
    •Use light cream cheese, ricotta or quark to replace some of the full-fat cream cheese in unbaked desserts.

We had a thread on this topic earlier but I can't seem to link it now. If I remember correctly the general idea was to substitute a 1 to 1 ratio of fruit puree for oil but sometimes the puree needs to be drained first to get rid of excess liquid. I think this applied particularly to applesauce.