Community Message Boards

Thread: tofu hot dogs

Question tofu hot dogs

I've had Tofu Pups before, and remember not hating them. But I don't know if I really really liked them. I've never been much of a hot dog person, and will not eat the real thing. But for some reason, this afternoon I started thinking that I might like to have tofu dog dinner. Maybe some homemade coleslaw and baked beans as sides. So...does anybody have a favorite brand? I definitely want to stay away from anything with trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. The less chemical-type ingredients the better. But please...even if you don't know the ingredient list, if there's a brand that you really like I'd love to hear about it.

I like Yves (sp?) products but admit I've never found a soy hot dog worthy...I'll eat them, but they are not hot dogs.
    Boca burger now makes bratwurst/sausage type of product that is very decent tasting, IMHO.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I haven't tried all the brands, but I've had the tofu dogs before and pitched them in the trash after 1 bite. The brand I've been eating is Morningstar Farms. I'd have to check the package to tell you what they're made of, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. I like the texture of them, and the flavor is hot dog-ish, although a little less spicy than I prefer my hot dogs to be. I don't know if Boca makes a hot dog, but they do make really good Italian sausages and smoked sausages!

Kari

I'm not really looking for something that tastes exactly like a hot dog. I don't like hot dogs. When I was little...I would put a hot dog in the bun and cover it with ketchup and relish. Then, I would take a bite or two...remove the hot dog and eat the bun and condiments. I've never been a big hot dog fan. I'm not a fan of vegetarian products made to taste like meat. My favorite pre-made veggie burgers are the veggie based ones...not the burger-tasting-type.

I basically just want something yummy to grill/sautee and put in a hot dog bun and top with relish, ketchup, and maybe mustard. I guess I have a craving for the atmosphere as opposed to the actual food...

I like the lightlife grill ready dogs (available around here only at Hannaford, near as I can tell). They have like 4 gms fat so taste a little better than others I have tried and are not as "orangish" tinged as some other tofu dogs. I brush them with oil lightly and grill or pan fry before eating in rolls or in lentil soup or beans. Also good tossed in mac & cheese. Lightlife (according to their website) has grill ready brauts also, but I have not been able to get them. The grill ready are tolerable to my meateating DB and son.

I like Smart Dogs, I get them at TJ's but have seen them in grocery stores too. I'm not sure what's in them though so I don't know if they're tofu exactly.

I LOVE Lightlife's smart dog's. I just had them last week for lunch and made them "chicago style" They are also good with Amy's chili on top. I like to use the Yves Hot N Spicy dogs when I make a box of Jambalya :-)

The Lightlife are fat free the yves are not. I tried the morningstar ones when I first went vegetarian in 96 and they were hiorrible!

Actually, I just realized I like the morningstar corndogs (anfd the ones at Trader Joes!) so they must have improved their recipie since then.

We like the Morningstare Farms dogs the best of all the soy/tofu ones--but our taste buds have had no "real" hotdogs for years. If we were expecting a Ballpark frank, we may feel differently. I think there is some adjustment to be made. For me the trade off (no high fat level, no nitrites, and no strange ingredients) is worth it.

The corn dogs ARE good, Guinness.

Shar

We ate the Smart Dogs for years and liked them a lot, but then I read one of those reviews you see in CL or maybe Natural Health where they reviewed all of the popular brands and liked Yves the best, so we gave them a try and liked them better than Smart Dogs, though both are pretty similar. The Smart Dogs fall apart more easily if you overcook them and they don't do well on a grill. The texture of the Yves is a bit firmer and they do better on a grill.

Originally posted by pilgrim719
    I don't know if Boca makes a hot dog, but they do make really good Italian sausages and smoked sausages!

Kari
    And the Breakfast Sausage links...YUM!!! The Boca is better than the Morningstar Farms to me.
    Life is Good

I like the corn dogs too, with some Cascadian FF on the side. Anyone tried the lightlife grill ready brauts? The Tofurky people make 3 different kinds of sausages, but they are REALLY high fat, like 240 calories each and they are not that big.

If you are not big on the hot dog flavor you can cut a long piece of tofu, grill it and put all the toppings on. There was a hot dog joint in Ann Arbor that offered a tofu dog this way. It was good. I prefer the veggie hot dog though.

My vote also goes for the Boca Italian and Smoked sausages...
    "Men are like a fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and
    it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they
    mature into something which you'd like to have to dinner."