Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Funny Question - eating shrimp shell

Help! Funny Question - eating shrimp shell

I know this is going to sound really strange but I ate a steamed spiced shrimp and accidentaly ate a piece of the shell. Is this dangerous? Should I call my doctor? I wonder if this is ever happened to anyone else.

Some people like to eat shrimp shells. It won't hurt you, or a lot of people I know would be dead by now.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Unless you have an existing condition that would make it dangerous, like diverticulitis, don't worry about it. Many cultures eat the shells, one of our local Japanese restaurants makes these wonderful spicy fried in the shell shrimp where you're supposed to eat the shells---I love them, but try to limit myself to maybe a dozen. DBF have diverticulosis, so he really shouldn't. Especially if it was just one, really, don't give it a second thought.

Oh heck, in lots of cultures it's totally normal to eat the shell. I've eaten them often - in Chinese dim sum there is a dish that has shell-on shrimp that is to die for! So don't worry about it!

The Frugal Gourmet had a recipe for Barbecued Shrimp that was simply delicious. He said eat the shell and all - but I tried one and just couldn't do it. I wonder if you get really fresh shrimp or young shrimp that have sort of soft shells.