Community Message Boards

Thread: Help!! Teachers Luncheon Ideas

Lightbulb Help!! Teachers Luncheon Ideas

In a very motivated mood, I've offered to make lunch for the teachers at my son's school in a couple of weeks.
    It will be teacher's appreciation week and the PTA goes all out for the teachers, bringing in baked goods every morning, hiring a massage therapist for the day, putting little gifts in their mail boxes every day.
    I wanted to make a nice lunch for them and I'm now starting to plan the menu.Thankfully it's a pretty small school and I'll only be preparing for about 25 teachers.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I don't know what type of food you are interested in, but if you are looking for a good Mexican casserole, I alwayd love the chicken enchaladia casserole. It can be made ahead, even frozen for later use. I will find which issue it is in if you are interested. You could make several of these ahead of time. They are a lot of work but the end result is worth it. (At least to me!) You could do some Mexican rice to go with it and a side of beans of some sort or a salad. Another idea might be lasagna and salad. You could do almost any dessert with that. Our cooking group is making the black bean lasagna from April 2001 tonight. That might be simplier.
    I hope this helps!
    Lynn
    P.S. Is your school hiring???

I'm totally impressed with your school! Do the parents volunteer to do all of this? How do they round up all this support? (I just became membership chair of our PTA so I'm curious.) Anyway, I'd recommend butterscotch bars for dessert -- very transportable and oh, so yummy. I'm also a big fan of chicken salad for a luncheon. I don't really follow a recipe.

Here's a link to a recent thread for a Ladies Luncheon and there is a link on that page for some other recipes.
    http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/006240.html

Good luck on your lunch, I use to do the same thing for my boys' school and even did 3 Open Houses for the school. Tons of work but everyone there is very grateful for the effort!

[This message has been edited by sneezles (edited 04-21-2001).]

A salad would be nice and light. I have a recipe for a thai salad using a yummy peanut salad dressing I created. If interested in recipe let me know.
    Thai Teas or iced tea
    with mint sprigs
    Thai Chicken Salad
    Fortune Cookies
    Coconut Ice Cream (prescooped
    and ready to serve if you
    have a freezer-garnish with
    salted peanuts)
    *Don't forget chopsticks
    Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun!

Weekendcook and Woodsl here's the recipe.
    Thai Salad Dressing
    6 TBSP. Creamy Peanut Butter
    1/2 cup chicken broth (I use low salt)
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    3 1/2 TBSP. sesame oil
    3 TBSP. soy sauce (I use light)
    3 cloves crushed garlic
    1 tsp. chili oil or to taste
    2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
    2 TBSP. sugar

Mix all the above in blender. Makes about 2-3 cups. It last for at least a week in the refrigerator (if you have any left over). Sorry this is not low fat!

**Salad**
    Greens
    Carrots
    Bean Sprouts
    Mandarin Oranges
    Scallions
    Red Bell Pepper
    Cucumbers
    Basically--anything you like. I've on occasion added toasted sliced almonds, water chestnuts, snow peas.
    I top the salad with mai fun noodles I have deep fried (yes, fried-again calories galore)
    and drained. When pressed for time I use chow mein noodles instead.
    Enjoy!

The school I was at last year was in a Mexican community and all the ladies made potluck and brought food for us...It was SOOOO good! Come whisper in the ears of the PTO at my new school....

Kim

Thanks so much for all your ideas, everyone!

Schuh, we usually select(or have someone volunteer) a chairman for events such as this and they do all the coordinating to organize other parents do bits and pieces of various things to help put together all the necessary "stuff" for an event such as this. It would be nearly impossible for one person to do it alone.We're very fortunate to have such an involved PTA.

Foodiedelight, please post your recipe for thai salad with peanut salad dressing! thanks!

Originally posted by WeekendCook:
    Foodiedelight, please post your recipe for thai salad with peanut salad dressing! thanks!
    Ditto, please post the thai salad with peanut salad dressing. It sounds great. Also, I have a wonderful, but not lowfat, recipe for coconut ice cream if anyone would like it. It is not light, but it is based on a Ben and Jerry's recipe which I did lighten some by substituting Half N Half and milk for the heavy cream.

Sharon

[This message has been edited by woodsl (edited 04-21-2001).]

Smile

maureen k~
    As a former teacher, I must add that I loved it when my school's PTA did this! One thing that I enjoyed was seeing the recipe next to the dish being served. Not only was this was helpful to those with allergies, but it was easy to run to the xerox and copy those favorite recipes right away. I got some wonderful recipes that way and many that I've shared since on this bboard. I think that a variety of cold salads and breads work very well for this type of lunch. Crockpots can also be utilized for soups too. Oh, here's a thought...you could do a potato bar! A crockpot can be used to keep the spuds warm (you can bake them in there too).

I know the teachers will appreciate anything you serve! Best wishes to you on this! You'll have to report back when it's over and let us know how everything turned out.

~~Susan~~

Thanks for posting your recipe Foodiedelite! That looks like it might be tomorrow's lunch to take to work!