Community Message Boards

Thread: can marinades be frozen?

Question can marinades be frozen?

i have a great flank steak marinade, but it makes more than i need. i was going to cut it in half like i usually do, but i realized that if i made the entire amount and froze half - that i'd save myself time in the future.

that being said, do you think marinades can be frozen? not with the meat - simply by themselves in a ziploc bag/container.

the ingredients of this marinade are:
    soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic salt, oil, dry ginger, black pepper... they seem like they'd be okay to freeze...

any input would be great!

I've wondered if you can freeze meat in the marinade. I've had occasions where plans changed, and had meat marinating in the refrigerator. Never had the nerve to pop it in the freezer though to see what might happen.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I do it all the time. Usually it's pork chops that I buy in a family package. I make the Korean marinade from CL a couple of years ago and divide up the chops and the marinade. In the freezer they go. They marinate while defrosting.

That said, I'm sure you could freeze marinade by itself.

thanks!

thank you both for responding... i used my brain a bit (kinda hard these days, since i seem to have lost lots of brain cells when i had children) and realized that if i usually just use an enormous amount of the marinade, it can't hurt to just use some of it and TRY freezing the rest. if it works, i haven't wasted it!

but, from your responses, looks like i may be just fine - which is *great*. thanks again!

Just to chime and agree. I often freeze meat in the marinade, like on grocery day if I have boughten family packages of meat. It really works well and is a huge time saver (a good thing for moms) when the meat marinates and defrosts all at the same time.

That being said.... I find it best to freeze meats in marinades that are recommended for overnight marinating rather than just an hour or two as the fibres of the meat could be affected. I would never freeze fish in a marinade but then again, probably would not ever buy fresh fish and then freeze it anyway. Beef, chicken and pork we do all the time. The "asian chicken" from CL and also the "Hoisin Pork" also CL are all time favorites for pork or chicken. and I did get a recipe from this bb a while back titled "Fabulous Flank Steak" and I did freeze this as well, when our company unexpectedly cancelled and the meat was already marinating. It turned out just as good as the fresh one we did!!
    to eat? or Not to eat? THAT is the question.