Community Message Boards

Thread: Lump vs. Claw Crab meat for Crab Cakes?

Lump vs. Claw Crab meat for Crab Cakes?

Hi all!
    What's the difference? If the recipe calls for lump crab meat, can I substitute with Claw Crab meat from Trader Joes?

THANK YOU!
    m

Assuming we're speaking of Maryland-type blue crabs (which are usually used for crab cakes....

Lump crab meat is from the body of the crab and is generally much better - sweeter, better texture (lumps versus a stringier consistency), etc.

Claw meat will work, it just won't be as good.

Coincidentally, crab cakes are on our menu for tonight! That's a huge treat for us out here in seafood-deprived Indiana.

Alysha

LOL, Alysha! "Maryland-type blue crabs are usually used for crab cakes" where Maryland-type blue crabs are found! (I'm just teasing.)
    Here in Dungeness country the claws are the main attraction...except in crab cakes, where I would definitely go with lump meat. At the very least I wouldn't think you could get the texture you want with claw meat. But that's just MHO, definitely not a crab cake making expert.

Originally posted by Canice
    LOL, Alysha! "Maryland-type blue crabs are usually used for crab cakes" where Maryland-type blue crabs are found! (I'm just teasing.)
    Well, yes, my experience with crab is limited to the east coast experience.

If a restaurant along the east coast serves anything other than blue crabs when it lists "lump crab meat", it's pure sacrilege!

I've had several different types of lump crab, but the blue crab tastes best to me.

Alysha

Tj has two kinds of canned crab meat.

The unrefrigerated kind would not work in crab cakes (IMO) as it doesn't taste that good and crab cakes (at least good ones) depend on the pristine taste of the crab being used. I have used the TJ unrefrigerated crabmeat in recipes where there is a lot of other flavors going on -- the CL Seafood Lasagna for example.

TJ has a more expensive crabmeat in the refrigerated section and this would work much better as it is higher quality and tastes better.

Talking THANKS!

Whew! Thank goodness I bought the right one! It was $8 for a lb which seemed expensive but I bought a can...

I also noticed they had some new and AWESOME products in the freezer - seafood medley, peeled shrimp, shellfish medley... I was going to buy the seafood medley for my risotto or congee making day but then I saw it...the MOST GORGEOUS shrimps ever ... it's rock shrimp and it reminded me of the delicious risotto I had the other night. So I bought them! Now I just need some good recipes. ... hint hint ...

Re: THANKS!

Originally posted by Blue
    Whew! Thank goodness I bought the right one! It was $8 for a lb which seemed expensive but I bought a can...
    Outside the coastal areas, lump crab can easily cost over $20/lb for the really good stuff! That's what we're having tonight, but my in-laws bring it to us as a gift when they come to visit - a very welcome gift indeed!

Heck, I can *walk* to the wharf and it's still over $20/pound at peek season.
    Anyhow, Blue, glad it worked out for you! I noticed all those things in the freezer at TJ's last week too and wondered whether they were new. Bummer they didn't have any frozen *raw* shrimp, though. Oh well, can't win 'em all!

Originally posted by Canice
    Heck, I can *walk* to the wharf and it's still over $20/pound at peek season.
    That's true. My in-laws live in Lousiana and it's still expensive there. Maybe it's the labor involved (picking crabs is definitely tedious work - fun for a meal, but to do all the time!) that makes it expensive.

Well worth it now and then, though!

Alysha