Community Message Boards

Thread: Apple Pastries made with Crescent Rolls

Apple Pastries made with Crescent Rolls

Do any of you have a recipe or Paula Dean's recipe of Apple Pastries made with Cresent Rolls? I saw Paula make these a long while back of her TV show, and I can't find the recipe anywhere.

Was it with Crescent Rolls or Refrigerated Biscuits? I know her Fried Apple Pies are made with Biscuit dough. I think I have that recipe at home and can post tomorrow if you like.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

jtoepfert, TY ! They were with cresent rolls, but I'd really appreciate the other recipe too! I may just go ahead and make the one with the biscuits , if no one has the cresent roll recipe.

I don't have the crescent roll recipe, but here is the fried pies recipe (from the foodtv website.

Apple Fried Pies
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

2 tablespoons butter
    4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough

For the filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.

When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on 1/2 of each circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shapes. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork.

Heat a deep fryer or a deep pot halfway filled with oil to 350 degrees F.

Carefully add the pies to the oil, 1 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning the pies as necessary for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.

Thanks for posting, Val. Starlight - I'll look at home for the recipe to which you are referring - it may be in one of her books. I'll let you know tomorrow!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Thumbs up

Starlight, I don't know the origin of this recipe using crescent rolls and apples that was shared with me, but it sure is good.

HoneyBun
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Apple Crescent Casserole

Yield: 8 servings

2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 to 1 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 8-ounce can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
    1 large apple, peeled, cored, cut into 8 slices

Sauce
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 tablespoon almond extract or amaretto liqueur
    1 egg
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    cinnamon

Instructions
    Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; blend well.
    Separate dough into 8 triangles; sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over each. Gently press sugar mixture into each triangle, flattening each slightly.
    Place apple slice on wide end of each triangle; tuck in edges around apple slice. Roll up, starting at wide end; roll to opposite point. Seal all seams. Place, tip side down, in an ungreased 9-inch round baking dish or a pie pan, placing long side of 7 filled crescents around outside edge of dish and 1 in center.
    Bake at 375 F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

In small bowl using wire whisk, combine 1/2 cup sugar, whipping cream, almond extract and egg until well blended. Spoon sauce mixture evenly over partially baked rolls.
    Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon. Bake an additional 13 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cover top of pan with foil during last 5 minutes of baking time if necessary to prevent excessive browning. Serve warm.
    Honey buns and coffee, what a combination!

Thanks HoneyBun! This isn't the recipe, but it sure looks good! I'll c and P.

Here's another variation using crescent rolls. I may make these for my Memorial Day BBQ:

Peaches n' Cream Bars

1 tube (8 oz) refrig. crescent rolls
    1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 C sugar
    1/4 tsp. almond extract
    1 can (21 oz) peach pie filling
    1/2 C AP flour
    1/4 C packed brown sugar
    3 TB cold butter
    1/2 C sliced almonds

Unroll crescent dough into one long rectangle. Press onto bottom and slightly up sides of a greased 13x9x2 baking pan; seal perforations. Bake at 375 for 5 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and extract until smooth. Spread over crust. Spoon pie filling over cream cheese layer. In a bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over pie filling. Bake at 375 for 25-28 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack. Store in refrigerator. Makes about 2 dozen.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Pammela: Boy those sound yummy. Thanks for posting another variation for the crescent rolls.

HoneyBun
    Honey buns and coffee, what a combination!

Originally posted by jtoepfert100
    Was it with Crescent Rolls or Refrigerated Biscuits? I know her Fried Apple Pies are made with Biscuit dough. I think I have that recipe at home and can post tomorrow if you like.
    Aren't the Crescent Rolls also, made with biscuit dough, also? I know they really taste more like that than they do a yeast dough.
    Okiedokie

Originally posted by HoneyBun
    [B]Starlight, I don't know the origin of this recipe using crescent rolls and apples that was shared with me, but it sure is good.

HoneyBun
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Apple Crescent Casserole
    HoneyBun, A lady gave me that recipe also, and it's from "About," and was originally called:
    Country French Apple Crescent Casserole
    Okiedokie

Pam: The recipe for the Peaches & Cream Bars sounds heavenly! How well do they keep?? I usually try to bake my desserts the day before the party so I have less work to do that day. How are they the next day?? Thanks!!

ummmmmmm, those look good too Pammela! Thanks!

Starlight, I have in front of me Lady & Sons and Lady & Sons Too. These are the apple listings:

Apple Crisp
    Apple Raisin Muffins
    Caramel Apple Cheesecake
    Fried Apple Pies
    Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia
    Oven-Baked Dutch Apple Pancakes
    Thanksgiving Apple Salad
    Applesauce Bread
    Applesauce Cupcakes
    Baked Apples
    Apple Piggy Pudding

Anytihng look familiar?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Originally posted by Leonard
    Pam: The recipe for the Peaches & Cream Bars sounds heavenly! How well do they keep?? I usually try to bake my desserts the day before the party so I have less work to do that day. How are they the next day?? Thanks!!

I haven't made them before, but depending on timing, I will most likely make them Sunday morning for Sunday evening. I would think they would be fine refrigerated and made the day before. If I run out of time, I'll be making them Saturday afternoon!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Originally posted by MISSINDI
    Starlight, I have in front of me Lady & Sons and Lady & Sons Too. These are the apple listings:

Apple Crisp
    Apple Raisin Muffins
    Caramel Apple Cheesecake
    Fried Apple Pies
    Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia
    Oven-Baked Dutch Apple Pancakes
    Thanksgiving Apple Salad
    Applesauce Bread
    Applesauce Cupcakes
    Baked Apples
    Apple Piggy Pudding

Anytihng look familiar?
    Nope! I have the Lady and Sons. It was one of her shows on the Food Tv network, on a Sat or Sun I think. Can't find it online. I knew I should have gone to the computer right then to copy it! :mad: