Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I do Buffalo Chicken Dip in a crock pot?

Can I do Buffalo Chicken Dip in a crock pot?

I want to bring the Buffalo Chicken Dip to a work party on Thursday. My thought was to mix everything together the night before, then let it all cook together in a big crock-pot on low for about 4 hours until the party. Is there any reason I can't do that? It sounded very reasonable to me when I offered to do it, but now I am getting paranoid that the cheese will either burn or not get hot enough or something. Thanks!

BONNIE'S BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (about 2 pounds), boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (I love using my crockpot for this step; the meat easily shreds...you don't want chunks)

1 - 12 ounce bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce (try to get this brand only, Crystal is so-so but do NOT use Tabasco)
    2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese
    1 - 16 ounce bottle of Ranch dressing
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack or sharp Cheddar cheese or combo thereof

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine the shredded chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's hot sauce, spreading to form an even layer.In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream cheese with entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til smooth & hot.Pour this mixture evenly over the chicken mixture to form a 2nd layer. Sprinkle celery
    over top. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, then sprinkle cheese over top and bake uncovered for another 15 or 20 minutes til hot & bubbly; you don't want the top to get browned or it will be hard. Let stand 10 minutes before serving hot/warm with celery sticks and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I don't know if I'd do this dip in a crockpot. I think that it might become very greasy due to the cream cheese and the ranch dressing under constant heat. I made it recently (in the oven) and then kept it on a warming tray during the party.

I would not do this in a crock pot. Part of the reason is it is in layers (chicken, then the ranch/cream cheese, then the shredded cheese). I have cooked the chicken in the crockpot, then shredded it and proceeded with the recipe. But I think it would be too "combined" if you did the whole recipe in a crock pot. Sorry.

I have made this many many times to rave reviews.

**I have not done the entire dip in my crockpot, but I have done just the chicken!!

Overnight, I put the chicken in my crockpot, add a little Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix over the top of the chicken and then add a little white wine. I cook on low overnight for 8 hrs. I then shred the chicken in the morning and then put the dip together and bake it when I need it.

It comes out great this way.

sniff, sniff. I was so looking forward to wowing my co-workers with the Buffalo Chicken Dip.

Thank you for the responses!
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

That's interesting b/c on the allrecipes.com site, the recipe for buffalo chicken dip says to make it in a crockpot. I did not, but check it out and see what the reviews say.

C<><
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown