Community Message Boards

Thread: Bees around the pool

Bees around the pool

Now that swimming season is fully upon us, I'm noticing that we have lots of bees around the pool. By lots, I don't mean a swarm, but somewhere around 10 or 12 buzzing around the waterfall and the perimeter. I'm allergic to bee stings, so anything more than 1 bee far away seems like a lot. I know there are no hives on our property--I've checked. Most likely, they live out in the desert behind us, so I'm pretty sure moving the hive won't be an option.

Is there anything that can be used to deter them from coming around, or to lure them to another spot, or even to trap them? I'd rather not have to use something to kill them, but it may be a "me or them" situation.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about an Epi pen, and I think I'll get some water shoes with rubber soles that I can wear into the pool to avoid inadvertently stepping on one when I'm getting in and out of the pool. Other suggestions?

Just for your comfort level, watch the color of the suit you wear. I had a pretty mix of 4 tones of blue - swirled etc and I was quite the bee magnet last year!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Are they the kind of bees that buzz around trash cans or picnic tables? I read a tip once that suggested setting out an open can of soda or some other type of sweet item to attract them BEFORE you have your picnic (or whatever). Once the bees find it, you can move the can or plate of food to a remote area and the bees will follow it, thus leaving you in peace.

I am sure this works, because some bees were bothering my two kids at the picnic table one summer. They picked up their plates and moved to a couple of different places, but the bees just followed along. DH and I stayed at the table (the bees hadn't been bothering us) and once the kids left the table there were no more bees around the table. Worth a try!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Cookin4Love,

If I remeber correctly, from previous posts, we live in the same area. The bees your refering to, are they the ugly "yellow" ones? If so, I believe they like to fill up with water from the pool, because (I was told) they live in the ground and make mud nests? We have lived here for 13 years and we have never been stung (DH, DD, DS and myself).

Good luck, Ann

Originally posted by HARRYET
    Cookin4Love,

If I remeber correctly, from previous posts, we live in the same area. The bees your refering to, are they the ugly "yellow" ones? If so, I believe they like to fill up with water from the pool, because (I was told) they live in the ground and make mud nests? We have lived here for 13 years and we have never been stung (DH, DD, DS and myself).

Good luck, Ann
    Honestly, I didn't get close enough to look. They're small. I'm not too worried about getting stung by them just buzzing around, but I've had three bee stings in my life because I either put my hand where a bee was (once in the water) or stepped on one (did you know even dead bees can cause a really bad allergic reaction?).

Kathy, I thought about trying that, but didn't know if it would work. It's probably worth a shot, though.

donleyk--my suit is black and red. Luckily, they don't seem to be attracted to me--we're saving that for Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford. I just don't want to accidentally run into the stinger end of one.

Originally posted by Cookin4Love
    Luckily, they don't seem to be attracted to me--we're saving that for Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford.
    Would that make you Katie Holmes or Calista Flockhart?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by HejazSunKat

Would that make you Katie Holmes or Calista Flockhart?
    Neither--just me, waiting for those crazy men to realize my innate worth and come running.

I was going to suggest water -- some bees are attracted to the sweet in sodas and such, like nectar. But if these bees just want to load up on water, plain water might be more to their liking. Maybe they would like a birdbath without the chlorine.

The wasps were really bad here one year and so we took a 2 litre plastic pop bottle and cut it straight across about 3/4 of the way up and then inverted the top. So, basically, the opening of the bottle is down inside the bottle. The wasps/bees can fly down the neck to the contents of the bottle, but they can't get back out. You would be amazed at how many were in there even after a couple of days!

Also, there is a local restaurant here that has outdoor dining and they planted a hedge with this particular type of shrub that attracts wasps/bees. I have eaten there many times and, while there may be a ton of them on the hedge, they are never around the food. I'm afraid I don't know what it is called, but perhaps there is something similar that will grow where you are?
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Oceanjasper, what did you put inside the bottom of the container to attract them? And...we're hoping that when all the flowering vines and plants start growing and blooming, that it will pull the bees away from the pool. Since our landscaper has taken forever to get things done, we're WAY behind the curve compared to where we hoped to be at this point, but the plants are in now. Grow, babies, grow!

I'm trying to visualize as it was some time ago! I think it was Coke.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Our problem is a wasp nest built inside one of the cracks in the bath-house wall. I am going to note which crack that is, today, and we are going to take care of that pesky little problem tonight!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Originally posted by jmarie
    Our problem is a wasp nest built inside one of the cracks in the bath-house wall. I am going to note which crack that is, today, and we are going to take care of that pesky little problem tonight!
    I've got some eating my porch. We find little piles of sawdust under the railings when they get busy. :mad:
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I've got some eating my porch. We find little piles of sawdust under the railings when they get busy.
    Are those wasps or Carpenter Bees?

Here is a link for the Carpenter Bees.
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef611.htm
    I haven't noticed any sawdust under the fence where the wasps are nesting, but I did notice it when we were plagued with Carpenter Bees.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I've never been stung before, but I am scared to death of bees, wasps, or anything else that resembles them. Even the shadow on the ground from all the cotton flying around from nearby cottonwood trees makes me jump away for a second. I don't go outside much at all. If I see any bees, I run quickly!

Oddly enough, there have been times when hornets have gotten inside, but we never have been able to figure out how, since we never leave any doors or windows open and watch carefully whenever we go in or out the door.

I have not tested it, but I have read several places that a sheet of Bounce will keep bees away. Another trick I read about is to add liquid soap to a can of Mountain Dew. Apparently, the bees drink it and die.

Originally posted by jmarie
    Are those wasps or Carpenter Bees?

Here is a link for the Carpenter Bees.
    http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef611.htm
    I haven't noticed any sawdust under the fence where the wasps are nesting, but I did notice it when we were plagued with Carpenter Bees.
    Thanks Joyce, I don't know what they are but they're big and ugly and they like to eat wood. DH has been spraying stuff in their hole (which we saw by sticking a mirror under the railing) for the last couple of seasons but they keep coming back. I'm going to hire an exterminator to go in there and carpet bomb them.
    Linda

Erma Bombeck

Setting out plates with a few slices of cucumber will keep them away from you. I realize it isn't a permanent solution, but it does work.

We have a fall festival just south of here that is normally full of bees because of all the food stands. Last year, each food stand had a couple of plates of cucumbers and the only bees to be seen were swarming around the dumpsters!

Originally posted by AD
    [BI have not tested it, but I have read several places that a sheet of Bounce will keep bees away. [/B]
    I tested Bounce and it didn't work.

I'm open to any suggestions for getting rid of bees! We have a lot of waspy ones this year.

Originally posted by schuh

I tested Bounce and it didn't work.

I'm open to any suggestions for getting rid of bees! We have a lot of waspy ones this year.
    Ours haven't been back for me to test anything. Maybe wishing really hard works.

If they're near you don't stomp and scream and act like you've lost your mind. That will get you stung. I have seen girls allergic to bees throw a royal hissy fit and the bee went and stung her. The other people around just acted normally and moved slowly away from the bee and were fine.

I think your bees want water. Maybe a smaller water feature away from people is the answer. I don't think the bees will bother you. I've had them around pools in the summer, and they've never bothered anyone. Of course, you want them to leave, but if you see them at the pool again I think they'll ignore you.

The Epi-pen is a great idea.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Spend an afternoon tracking down the nest. Just follow the wasp with your eyes. It can't be far away. Once you have located it, wait until evening and then spray it. That is how we got rid of ours. Haven't seen one since we did.

Originally posted by HejazSunKat

I'm going to hire an exterminator to go in there and carpet bomb them.
    For wood/carpenter bees an exterminator works just fine. We are on a regular schedule for foundation spraying and in the fall mice baiting. I had a couple off those bees buzzing around an old hole they made last year. When exterminator came for my visit, he simply stuffed the nozzle up in the hole and we are now bee free. Of course I think we got it very early before they made a whole and nested. Good luck!
    Jodi

Setting out plates with a few slices of cucumber will keep them away from you. I realize it isn't a permanent solution, but it does work.
    I can't wait to try this. We aren't usually bothered by honey bees until July through First Frost. Thanks for the idea.

Joyce

If they are actually bees, please think a bit before trying something to kill them. Bees are our great polinators and help your squash blooms turn into squash (and polinate other veggies as well). The cuke idea sounds like one worth trying. No damage to the bees, and no damage to you. I've heard that eating a spoonful of honey every day can lessen bee alregies. Not sure if it actually works or not, since I'm not allergic to bee stings. Bee stings are actually far less painful (and annoying) than mosquito bites. Bee stings ***** a little and then disappear within a couple hours. Mosquito bites on the other hand... They last for weeks and drive me insane! Good luck figuring out a way to stay safe!