Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with Jerk Chicken?

What to serve with Jerk Chicken?

We're having friends for supper tomorrow night and I'm going to grill up some Jerk chicken with mango salsa. I'm not to sure what to serve with it however. Does anyone have a suggesstion/recipe for a side and for a dessert? TIA!! (oh, I should mention that our friend is highly allergic to nuts)

How about CL's Island Rice? Perfect with your Jerk Chicken! Seems like it was actually published with a Jerk Chicken recipe.

ISLAND RICE

2 1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon chopped green onions
    2 1/2 tablepoons fresh lime juice

Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and next 4 ingredients (rice through salt). Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Reomve from heat; stir in cilantro, onions and juice.

That rice does look great! How about a pineapple dessert like this:

Rum-butter Glazed Grilled Pinapple with Vanilla-Scented Marscapone

6 ounce unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/4 cup dark rum
    1 ripe pineapple, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
    9 ounces mascarpone
    1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Melt butter, sugar and rum in a small saucepan. Grill pineapple on both sides until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Spoon rum glaze over grilled pineapple.

Whisk together mascarpone and vanilla seeds. Top each slice of pineapple with a dollop of vanilla mascarpone. Garnish with a few fresh blueberries.

or this:

Pineapple Buttermilk Sherbet

2 c. buttermilk
    1 15 oz can crushed pineapple
    1 c. sugar

Mix all together until sugar is dissolved; pour into ice cream freezer.

Or a coconut cake or ice cream would be great as well.....or key lime would work too! Key lime cheesecake or ice cream or those key lime parfaits from CL from last year.
    Michelle

We actually have the same thing on our menu for next week and I am serving it with coleslaw and grilled corn on the cob. The Island Rice is good too. I just made that for the first time not too long ago. It is a good side for a spicy dish like jerk chicken.

As for dessert, how about something else with tropical flavors...if you have an ice cream maker, this sorbet is fabulous and you could serve alongside a simple cake or some cookies.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Coconut Sorbet

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cans sweetened coconut cream at room temperature -- (15-ounce)
    3 cups water
    3 cups lemon juice
    1 Tb grated lemon rind

In a large bowl whisk the coconut cream until very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. Put immediately into your ice cream machine and proceed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Do not chill before freezing because the fat in the coconut cream hardens and forms little globules.

Source:
    "Frog Commissary Cookbook"
    Yield:
    "3 Quarts"

Serving Ideas : Garnish each serving with a lemon twist and a sprig of mint, or top with a splash of rum.

Turn it into a decadent summer drink by whizzing several scoops in a blender with a liberal dose of rum

NOTES : We've known some normally very proper people who have devoured three bowls of this sublime dessert at one sitting, even after a generous dinner. Very smooth, addictively sweet, yet refreshingly tart, it seems more like an ice cream in texture than a sorbet.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I would vote for rice and coleslaw as well. Bland/sweetish/cool flavors next to the heat of the chicken.

The excellent Caribbean restaurant here also serves collard greens, cornbread, and black beans and rice as sides to go with their spicy chicken.

As soon as I saw the recently posted recipe for Sweet Potato and Ginger Salad, I thought that recipe would be a perfect side for Jerk Chicken (or pork).

Zackaboo,
    the lemon coconut sorbet sounds wonderful, but what is sweetened coconut cream? Is it coconut milk?

Originally posted by LaurenP
    Zackaboo,
    the lemon coconut sorbet sounds wonderful, but what is sweetened coconut cream? Is it coconut milk?
    Sorry...that is written rather deceptively in the recipe. When I made the recipe I assumed that they meant cream of coconut...like you use to make pina coladas. In our grocery stores it is found in the section with drink mixers. That is what I used and it was fabulous. That would also make it easy to convert to a frozen drink as they suggest. I haven't tried that yet but I plan too .
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Originally posted by manetta
    How about CL's Island Rice? Perfect with your Jerk Chicken! Seems like it was actually published with a Jerk Chicken recipe.

ISLAND RICE

2 1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon chopped green onions
    2 1/2 tablepoons fresh lime juice

Bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and next 4 ingredients (rice through salt). Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Reomve from heat; stir in cilantro, onions and juice.
    Along with the chicken and the rice, try fried plaintains.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas! I ended up serving the Island rice and coleslaw. It turned out very well. For dessert I tried a new recipe from Canadian Living called chocolate swirlled cheesecake pie. It did not look like the picture when I was finished and I was almost embarassed to serve it. Luckily I did because everyone enjoyed it. Everyone except for my DH that is, as he later reported to me that he doesn't like cheese cake. I guess I'll get to eat all the leftovers then

I'm making this tomorrow night and could NOT find "Jerk Sauce" at my grocery store
    Sooooooooooooooo I'm using a Jerk marinade and skipping the first part of the recipe....I am really looking forward to the rice YUM!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Originally posted by zackaboo
    We actually have the same thing on our menu for next week and I am serving it with coleslaw and grilled corn on the cob.
    This is what I pictured...maybe not a traditional side for jerk chicken but the cool cole slaw sounds like a perfect side to me.

I have served plantains alongside jerk chicken. Just slice on a slant about 3/4 an inch, fry in a bit of oil in a skillet on both sides until tender, drain on papertowels then sprinkle with seasoning and lime...YUM!!!
    Life is Good

Originally posted by recipe-aholic
    Thanks everyone for all your ideas! I ended up serving the Island rice and coleslaw. It turned out very well.
    LOL...I need to start reading through replies before I post...I get ahead of myself and just click "post". I am glad your dinner turned out good!!!
    Life is Good

Zackaboo, thanks for the cream of coconut clarification, The sorbet is on for the weekend.

Island rice sounds good too.

ALL I can say is YUM! The island rice was sooooooooo good!
    We had the jerk chicken, with island rice and grilled summer squash this evening and it was such an easy and yummy meal!

Yes I will make this again
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Originally posted by CindySoCal
    ALL I can say is YUM! The island rice was sooooooooo good!
    Glad you liked it!