Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with pea shoots

What to do with pea shoots

I picked up some pea shoots (or pea tops) at the farmers market yesterday. I put some in our salads, but what else can I do with them? I would like to try cooking them. Any ideas?

This is the first time I've tried these. They are about 6" long pea stems with curly tips and tender leaves on them.

TIA!

I enjoyed both of these recipes from epicurious. I also like to stir some into delicate, broth-based soups, throw them into stir-fries, and add them to pasta or risotto primavera recipes.

PASTA WITH THREE PEAS

Pea tendrils taste like a cross between peas and spinach and are used in Chinese cooking, where they are called dau miu. Find them at farmers' markets and Asian markets. Spinach or watercress can be substituted for pea tendrils in this lovely green dish.

12 ounces orecchiette (little ear-shaped pasta)
    8 ounces bacon, chopped (I used 2 or 3 slices, not 1/2 lb)
    8 shallots, trimmed, quartered
    2 cups sugar snap peas (about 8 ounces)
    4 cups (4 1/2 ounces) pea tendrils
    1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
    1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
    1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
    Additional shaved Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring often. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Transfer to large bowl.
    Meanwhile, sauté bacon in heavy large skillet over high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add shallots to skillet; sauté over medium-high heat until golden brown, pressing with spoon to separate layers, about 5 minutes. Add snap peas; stir until bright green and crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Add pea tendrils and petite peas, stirring just until tendrils wilt, about 1 minute. Add pea mixture, bacon, mint, and enough cooking liquid to moisten pasta. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Serve, passing additional cheese alongside.

Makes 4 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    Every-Night Cooking
    April 2005

SESAME PEA-SHOOT SALAD

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

1 cup sugar snap peas
    1/2 cup snow peas
    1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen green peas
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted lightly
    1/2 to 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    6 cups pea shoots, washed well and spun dry

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook sugar snap peas 2 minutes. Add snow and green peas and cook 1 minute. Drain peas in a colander and rinse in cold water. Pat dry on paper towels.
    In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, sugar, and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved.
    In a bowl toss pea shoots and peas with dressing.

Serves 4.
    Gourmet
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

I usually end up putting them in salads, or focusing the salad around them as the main ingredient, but stir frying would be a natural. You could also use them on top of a grilled chicken sandwich for something different than lettuce, or garnish a green soup with them.