Community Message Boards

Thread: Spider veins on legs

Question Spider veins on legs

Has anyone had these "removed"? I have an appointment with a doctor on Monday and just wondering what/how they do it)? Mine aren't too bad, just unsightly.

Thanks!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Just wanted to request that you keep us updated. That's about the only reason I ever feel like I need a tan (fake one, of course).
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

I had the salt solution injections a year ago. Some came back, most are gone. Its not too bad, just stings while the doc is giving the shot. The ones behind the knees were the only painful areas. No pain by the time I left his office. I had to wear support hose for a couple of days afterward.

My insurance did not pay for this. Your dermatologist will know if yours is covered. I would recommend having a dermatologist or even plastic surgeon do it.

Mary

I'm curious how much this costs. Over the last year or so, I have gotten more and more of these. I'm wondering if they are caused by all the working out I do or it's just because I'm getting older.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

according to webMD

What Causes Varicose Veins and Spider Veins?

A number of factors predispose a person to varicose and spider veins. These include:

Heredity
    Occupations that involve a lot of standing, such as nurses, beauticians, teachers and factory workers
    Obesity
    Hormonal influences during pregnancy
    The use of birth control pills
    Post-menopausal hormonal replacement
    A history of blood clots
    Conditions that cause increased pressure in the abdomen including tumors, constipation and externally worn garments like girdles
    Other reported causes include trauma or injury to the skin, previous venous surgery and exposure to ultraviolet rays.

I think the cost was somewhere between $250-$300, can't remember exactly.

Has anyone had laser therapy to remove spider veins? I would be interested to know the results and how much it cost.

I had the saline injections which collapsed larger veins. The vascular surgeon told me that it wouldn't work on smaller spider veins. I'm not sure I believe that. I think she didn't want to do them because they weren't causing a problem, they were just unsightly.

I had an acupuncturist try "bleeding" them. I don't think it worked. I only did it once. Perhaps if I went back, it would have been more effective. In answer to jtoepfert100 question about working out, the acupuncturist told me that it actually prevents veins from getting worse.
    Runs for food

I have a hereditary condition that causes the overgrowth of capillaries, which causes red dots on my skin. This only started manifesting after the age of 40. I probably have about 15-20 on various parts of my body at this point, and they're usually a little bigger than the head of pin. I had one crop up on my face, which prompted me to see a dermatologist. They use the same laser (Varia) on these spots as they do on the spider veins. I had the one on my face done, one on my forearm, and a few on my throat & chest. It took two treatments, about 4 weeks apart. They got darker at first (because the blood is clots in the closed-off veins), then faded. It cost $50/treatment, but I'm happy with it. Of course the cost is geared to how much area they have to treat.

Originally posted by funniegrrl
    I have a hereditary condition that causes the overgrowth of capillaries, which causes red dots on my skin. This only started manifesting after the age of 40. I probably have about 15-20 on various parts of my body at this point, and they're usually a little bigger than the head of pin. I had one crop up on my face, which prompted me to see a dermatologist. They use the same laser (Varia) on these spots as they do on the spider veins. I had the one on my face done, one on my forearm, and a few on my throat & chest. It took two treatments, about 4 weeks apart. They got darker at first (because the blood is clots in the closed-off veins), then faded. It cost $50/treatment, but I'm happy with it. Of course the cost is geared to how much area they have to treat.
    Is that what causes those? I've been getting them everywhere in the last couple of years--and I'm 45. They drive me crazy. Maybe I'll have them removed.

It's called hema-something ... I'll see if I can find the paper with the name on it when I get home. I'd never heard of it either until I went to the doctor.

Delurking on behalf of my scary legs... Has anyone ever tried taking a horse chestnut supplement for spider/varicose veins? Here is some info I found: http://www.horsechestnut.com/

Andrew Weil's vitamin recommendation site recommended that I take it a few months ago because I have a lot of spider veins and poor circulation in my legs (I think). I've been thinking about getting some, and was wondering if any of you have any experience with it.