Community Message Boards

Thread: uses for roasted red bell peppers in a jar

uses for roasted red bell peppers in a jar

I have a jar of roasted red bell peppers and am not sure what to do with them. What are some good uses. They taste a little salty to me all by themselves so maybe putting them in something will hide the saltiness but I also don't want to totally lose the 'product' and have it be as if I had just used a fresh bell pepper. Is there a mayo type spread that maybe uses roasted red bell peppers?

San Francisco
    I wonder why they would tasty salty?? I think I would be reluctant to use them if that's the case.

But if they're OK, you can make a spread by tossing equal parts roasted peppers and mayo in the food processor.

I like them in salads, quesedilla, and this fresh, light pasta dish (though I do throw in a few more ingredients):

California Pasta Toss
    Another recipe I developed while working at a health and fitness center called the Marsh in Minnetonka Minnesota. The idea behind this recipe was simplicity and bold fresh flavors. This dish can be put together from start to finish in less than 30 minutes and tastes great with fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil and fresh vegetables including Roma tomatoes and roasted bell peppers.

3 cups penne pasta
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (jar garlic is fine)
    2/3 cup fresh diced roma tomatoes
    1/2 diced roasted red bell peppers (canned)
    1/2 cup canned artichokes (in water)
    1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
    fresh cracked black pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh minced basil

In a large sauce pot or soup pot boil enough water to cook the penne pasta. While the water is boiling mince the garlic and dice both the tomatoes and the roasted bell peppers. Once the water is boiling begin to prepare the vegetables:

In a large saute pan heat the olive oil until hot adding the minced garlic. Saute the garlic for 15 - 30 seconds or until the garlic has a nice even golden color. Once the garlic has reached the desired color add the roma tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers and the canned artichoke hearts. Saute the vegetables over a medium high flame for 3 to 5 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking add the dry penne pasta to the boiling water, stirring often. After the vegetables have cooked for 3 to 5 minutes add course ground black pepper, fresh minced basil and a bit more extra virgin olive oil. Reduce the heat to very low to maintain the tempature of the sauted vegetables and finish cooking the pasta. Once the pasta has finished drain and add to the sauted vegetable mixture. Toss with parmesan cheese and serve.

Recipe by Chef Brian Johnson
    Monday July 14, 2003

Oakland, CA
    This CL recipe sounds kind of boring, but it tastes much better than it reads. I think part of the appeal is that it looks like the chicken is covered in tomato sauce, but then it tastes like smoky roasted red peppers instead. It's quick and easy, too. I puree the peppers, etc., in the blender, and I throw a garlic clove in there.

Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1 teaspoon italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 cup fatfree low sodium chicken broth
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1 (7--ounce) bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesean cheese
    Parsley Sprigs

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with italien seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken to pan, and cook 3 minutes on each side.

2. While chicken cooks, place broth, vinegar, and bell peppers in a food processor; process until smooth. Add bell pepper mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Sprinkle servings evenly with cheese. Garnish with parsley if desired.
    From CL 4/03

Victoria, B. C. Canada
    Giada made these today on Everyday Italian.

Italian Quesadillas

4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
    2 large onions, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    9 (8-inch-diameter) flour tortillas
    3 cups shredded Fontina
    3/4 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained well and patted dry
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
    1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan, plus 3 tablespoons for garnish

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sugar, and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Season the onions, to taste, with salt and pepper; set aside.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Sprinkle some Fontina over half of a tortilla. Arrange some bell peppers and sauteed onions on top of the Fontina. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and Parmesan. Sprinkle more Fontina over. Fold the clean half over the filling to cover and press gently to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas evenly dividing the filling ingredients.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil on a heavy large griddle over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the quesadillas until the cheese melts and the tortillas are golden brown, adding more oil as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the quesadillas to baking sheets and keep them warm in the oven while cooking the remaining quesadillas.

Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Arrange them on a platter. Garnish the platter with parsley sprigs and serve.

Do-Ahead Tip: The quesadillas can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead. Arrange them on a baking sheet, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

Connecticut shoreline
    How about some Romesco Sauce? We make a batch and freeze the leftovers - excellent for dipping grilled shimp and/or other seafood, or for topping baked/roasted meats (link to CL recipe finder results):

Alternatively, we sometimes have an antipasto salad with dinner - atop freshly chopped spinach leaves, assemble any/all of the following: chopped, roasted bell peppers, marinated mushrooms, artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes or cherry/grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pepperoncini, chopped prosciutto, chopped olives. Drizzle with vinaigrette dressing, as desired.

South Lake Tahoe, CA
    This is really good. It is a CL recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mediterranean Hummus

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizer/Snack

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
    1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves
    1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) -- (15-oz) rinsed and

Place all ingredients in a food procesor; process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl once. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Yield: 1 3/4 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

los angeles
    I LOVED these!

Lasagna Rolls with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
    From Cooking Light

These rolls require some assembly time but are a nice change of pace from layered pasta. Use baby spinach to eliminate the task of trimming stems.

8 uncooked lasagna noodles
    4 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
    1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, undrained
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

To prepare lasagna, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, spinach, and 3 garlic cloves; sauté 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses, 2 tablespoons basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.

To prepare sauce, place vinegar and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

Place cooked noodles on flat surface; spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture over each noodle. Roll up noodles, jelly-roll fashion, starting with short side. Place the rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish. Pour 1/4 cup sauce over each roll, and cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Microwave at high 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons basil.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 rolls)

CALORIES 393(27% from fat); FAT 11.7g (sat 4.3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 19.3g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 253mg; SODIUM 924mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 3.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 58.3g

Paulette Mitchell
    Cooking Light, APRIL 2004

Los Angeles
    For a quick lunch, I like to make a panini with roasted peppers and mozzarella on Italian bread.

Similar to faygs' suggestion, I like to take a good, crusty Italian bread (I use a local bakery's Organic Stirato). I cut the bread in half, smear the insides with red wine vinegar and olive oil, smear that with soft goat cheese, pile on fresh tomatoes, basil and roasted peppers. Sometimes I'll trhough in some roasted egg plant and sometimes I'll use a good feta mixed with olive oil to spread on the bread.

I think let the sandwich sit for a few hours so it soaks into the bread a bit. If you use a good, crusty bread, it won't get soggy all the way through.

Mmmm... I'm having this for lunch today.

For Pete's sake, now I blog!

I was really glad to see this thread on roasted red peppers. This last time I bought the peppers for the 7 Layer Rigatoni, it was a large jar, and I was wondering what to do with the leftover peppers. Until I saw that Recipe for the Lasagna Rollups (Simple Summer Suppers), the Italian chicken and quesadillas sound great to me also. Thanks guys

Ahh [b]emilie[/b]

you took the words right out of my mouth, such perfection with goat cheese. I say go with it! I am hungry and won't eat lunch for a while... I hate when that happens!
    I second Kathryn's suggestion of the Romesco Sauce, we love it also!
    I hate being on the boards when I know I won't be eating for a while .
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Los Angeles
    Originally posted by Missi
    This is really good. It is a CL recipe.

Mediterranean Hummus

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizer/Snack

1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
    1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves
    1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) -- (15-oz) rinsed and

Place all ingredients in a food procesor; process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl once. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Yield: 1 3/4 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I just want to say that I made this today, and it is great! I love hummus, and this is as good as any I've had in a Middle Eastern restaurant. Thanks for posting the recipe!
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

They're really good on a grilled chicken sandwich with a melty cheese like fontina. You can rinse them off to get rid of some of the brine.

Use them up pretty quickly. They have a tendency to grow things in the fridge. I've thrown some out because of mold.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!

Plano, TX
    This is the way that I used up my last jar of roasted red peppers and it was fabulous...great flavor combination. I also tried Giada's Italian Quesadillas (posted above) yesterday and loved them as well.

Sweet Pepper Crostini

Recipe By :Giada DeLaurentis
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers - hot

6 slices baguette (1/2-inch-thick)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper strips -- (1/2 to 3/4)
    1/3 cup grated smoked mozzarella or fontina -- (1/3 to 1/2)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush the oil over the bread slices. Bake until pale golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Arrange the bell pepper strips atop the bread. Sprinkle with the cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.

"Everyday Italian"
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Fresno, Ca
    Use them in the orzo salad from the July issue.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Right where I want to be
    We eat this when we have a craving for chicken wings, but don't want something deep-fried and a sauce that's half butter. It's exceptionally good.

Chicken with Red-Devil Rub and Diablo Sauce

Recipe By :Family Circle 10/5/99
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories : Appetizers Grill
    Healthy And Hearty Main Dishes

6 chicken breast halves
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/3 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper -- ground
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    7 ounces roasted red peppers -- drained
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Prepare chicken: Place on baking sheet. Stir together honey and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl; brush all over the chicken pieces. In another bowl, mix together paprika, curry powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over all sides of the chicken. Cover the chicken tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange the chicken in a large pan.

Roast in 450 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until well browned and an instant-read thermomenter inserted in the thickest part of the chicken pieces with touching bone registers 170 detrees.

Prepare the sauce: Combine roasted red peppers, olive oil, vinegar, salt and hot-pepper sauce in blender. Puree.

Arrange chicken on serving platter. Pour sauce into small bowl and serve on the side.

Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Option: Cube boneless chicken breasts and cook on skewers for appetizer. Can be cooked on grill over indirect heat.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Houston, TX
    There's a chicken salad recipe that a friend found on one of the South Beach bbs. Roughly it goes like this:

chopped, roasted chicken breast
    chopped green onions
    chopped roasted red peppers
    chopped celery
    chopped pickled jalapenos
    dress with mayo/sour cream/yogurt mixed to your liking.

I often add a handful of cilantro and a healthy squirt of lime juice. The pickled jalapenos make this very tasty!

I have made this a few times and my family really enjoys it.

Shrimp with Roasted Red Pepper Cream

1 (7-ounce) package vermicelli
    1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
    1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 pounds cooked, peeled large shrimp
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    Garnish: fresh basil sprig

Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and oil. Keep pasta warm.

Process red peppers and next 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, scraping down sides. Pour mixture into a large skillet.

Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often, until thoroughly heated. Add shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Serve over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with basil. Garnish, if desired

Yield: 6 servings

CALORIES 353(18% from fat); FAT 6.8g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.4g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 40.2g; CHOLESTEROL 243mg; CALCIUM 123mg; SODIUM 530mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30g
    Southern Living, APRIL 2003

NOTE: This is a low fat recipe but when I make it, I cook my shrimp in some olive oil, butter & garlic and then add to the recipe. I know, I'm bad

How bout this?

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Dressing

This recipe goes with Cucumber Salad with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Dressing

1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 cup nonfat yogurt
    1 teaspoon salt

Pulse ingredients in a blender 5 to 6 times or until smooth.
    Cucumber Salad with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Dressing: Combine gourmet salad greens, diced cucumbers, and sliced red onion; serve with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Dressing.

Yield: Makes 2 cups
    Southern Living, JANUARY 2003

chester county, pennsylvania, usa
    I chop them and add them to quiches and soups. I will often sub them for regular green or red peppers in recipes if I don't have the fresh ones on hand. The following recipe is one that I usually sub the one cup of green peppers with roasted red peppers-yum!

Italian Chicken with Chickpeas

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. March 2002. Page: 210.
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/3 cups sliced onion
    1 cup green bell pepper strips (*my note: sub roasted red peppers)
    1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1 can (15-1/2-ounce) chickpeas, drained
    1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with basil,
    garlic, and oregano, undrained
    Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)

This simple one-dish meal is great reheated the next day for lunch.

1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Add onion and bell pepper; saute 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, chickpeas, and tomatoes; cover and cook 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with parsley leaves, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 cups).

296 calories (19 % fat), 6.1 g fat, 32 g protein, 5.6 g fiber, 79 mg calcium

Here's a link to an old thread about this recipe:

Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Definitely romesco-- great building block to have on hand. Also throw some into a bread salad.