Community Message Boards

Thread: How to Write on car windows?

How to Write on car windows?

We have been asked to help decorate the car for a friend's daughter to drive from the church to the reception. What do you use to write "Just Married"? Soap doesn't seem like it will show up. Is there a special paint that people use ---where do you get it? Any other ideas for streamers or nice decorations --not tin cans.

A hundred years ago when I was in high school, we used white shoe polish-- the one that Kiwi makes in the bottle that has the sponge applicator tip. We used it on the glass only, not the paint, and it washes off, unless they've changed their formula.

At the last wedding I was in, we used lipstick on the glass. "The Brawn" on his side and "The Brains" on hers.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Another thing that might work (if you can find it) is an old-time window cleaner called "Glass Wax". It dries to a white haze and then can be wiped off when you want it gone (and it'll clean the windows, too!)
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Maybe you could ask the local car yards what they use to write the prices on the windows of the cars for sale?
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Dry erase markers and/or sharpies should work as well. I know that they come off of mirrors
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Not bumping up.

Check in the kids art supply section at Target or the like. They now sell "window painting pens".

I remember they used black Kiwi on our family white station wagon at my older brother's first wedding in the late '60s. It eventually had to just wear off. And some of the comments were a bit off-color for my Dad, the college professor, to drive to work when they got back. Not bad, just REALLY upset my Dad. So, as noted above, if you use shoe polish DO NOT get it on the paint!

You could fill the car with balloons! I have seen that done and it is safe for driving (just push some out of the way) pretty and funny to watch them try to get in. Safer than rice on the sunvisor, etc. which may be pulled down at a bad time. I am so glad I left by boat and avoided all of this!
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I think you can also get the pens at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. We use them when DS goes to State for Swim team.

Originally posted by tbb113
    Dry erase markers and/or sharpies should work as well. I know that they come off of mirrors

I would not recommend sharpies!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Vaseline on the door handles will stay on for 5 years and will be there when you trade in the car...
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

There's something especially made for doing this. My husband got some at the car or tire store (forget which), for DD to write "Senior 05", etc on the car.

I just saw the car window paint stuff in the check-out line at Ace Hardware last weekend.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Thanks for the tips -- I will look at Ace or Auto Zone for the special paint marker. The bridal web sites sell whole kits for car decorating with "cling on" messages, rosettes, etc.