Community Message Boards

Thread: Is there another name for Chipotle Chili Powder?

Question Is there another name for Chipotle Chili Powder?

I live in an area with a fairly large Hispanic population, and there are a couple of very well-stocked Mexican tiendas in town. Most of our groceries also have large "Mexican" sections. Nowhere in town have I been able to find chipotle chili powder. Is there another name for it? I love the flavor of chipotle and would love to try recipes that call for it. I suppose I could grind up whole chipotle chilis, but I doubt I'd be able to get them "en polvo"!

I don't know if there is another name for it.
    I found some yesterday at my grocery store, McCormick makes it. It's in a glass bottle and is part of their "Gourmet Collection"
    Chipolte Chili Pepper.
    HTH??
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks, Cindy. Maybe if I know a specific brand to look for, I can find it.
    What's HTH?

"HTH" Hope that helps
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And you can always order it from Penzey's if all else fails.

Penzey's is where I find mine too. I can't remember the last time I bought any spice in the grocery store.

Originally posted by Member10000
    Penzey's is where I find mine too. I can't remember the last time I bought any spice in the grocery store.
    Can't resist asking: why is that? People on the BB are always getting excited talking about Penzey's. Are their spices all superior to say, McCormick, or is it just their variety and their intriquing blends that are exciting? Also, I'm guessing it's pretty expensive? TIA, I'm curious.

Vons or Safeway...

The Vons markets here in San Diego have it. I would imagine if you have Safeway or Vons there in Washington State they should carry it as well. I found it on one of those display boards where they have all the really inexpensive mexican spices. You know, like .99 a bag. The display in the Vons I shop at is at the end of the dairy case near where the employees come in and out from the back of the store. I didn't mention a brand name because I imagine those bagged spices like that probably are by different companies.
    HTH as well.

Originally posted by dreamer

Can't resist asking: why is that? People on the BB are always getting excited talking about Penzey's. Are their spices all superior to say, McCormick, or is it just their variety and their intriquing blends that are exciting? Also, I'm guessing it's pretty expensive? TIA, I'm curious.
    I'll weigh in here. Their spices are fresher to McCormick, and they have a great selection. I actually think they are cheaper, though, not counting shipping. I wouldn't say that Penzey's is the be all and end all of spices - there are other comparable places to get spices - but they are, IMO, better than supermarket choices.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

It's pretty easy to buy some dried chipotles (very cheap in the Hispanic markets) and grind your own.

Originally posted by badunnin

I'll weigh in here. Their spices are fresher to McCormick, and they have a great selection. I actually think they are cheaper, though, not counting shipping. I wouldn't say that Penzey's is the be all and end all of spices - there are other comparable places to get spices - but they are, IMO, better than supermarket choices.
    Thanks for your input, Badunnin. -dreamer

I FOUND IT! Thanks, y'all! Seems like everyone in town got it all of a sudden. I've been looking for awhile, and today I found it 3 places!
    I think, just for S & G, I'm going to try grinding my own, too, just to see what happens. I looked at the chipotles in the Mexican store, and they looked like dried mud to me. But then I looked them up on foodsubs, and that's what they're supposed to look like!

I looked at the chipotles in the Mexican store, and they looked like dried mud to me. But then I looked them up on foodsubs, and that's what they're supposed to look like!

Sometimes the ones I get look kind of dusty. In that case, before I use them, I rinse them in a little water and dry them in a warm oven before grinding.