Community Message Boards

Thread: ? about 3 oz package raspberry jello

? about 3 oz package raspberry jello

I want to make this cake posted by Maizeyoats. It calls for 3 ounces of raspberry gelatin. Our packages contain 10g which is more like .3 ounces. Can someone tell me if the package is really 3 ounces, or is it .3 ounces. Our 10g package makes 4 servings of 1/2 cup each. Is that how many servings the 3 ounce package makes?

Here is the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb Dump Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 cups rhubarb diced
    1 cup sugar
    1 packets cake mix white
    3 ounces raspberry gelatin
    3 cups marshmallows -- minature
    2 eggs
    water as needed for mix

Arrange rhubarb in bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with sugar and gelatin. Cover with marshmallows. Prepare cake mix using 2 eggs and required amount of water. Spread batter over the mixture. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream

Source:
    "Maizeyoats, CLBB"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 323 Calories; 3g Fat (9.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 68g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 297mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 1248 0 5517 58502 0 0 0
    newcook

You're good to go--it's .3 ounce. (At least, cherry Jell-o is, and I'm pretty sure they're the same )
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Thank you very much. I'll post a review tomorrow

Daniele
    newcook

I'll be interested in how it turns out!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I'll be making the cake when I come home from work, so I'll keep^you posted tonight.

Daniele
    newcook

WAIT - My package of Jello says 3 oz (85 g). Are you confusing it with Knox Gelatin, which is different product and weight and has no flavor?

I was thinking perhaps the 0.3oz referred to SUGAR FREE Jell-O. I am sure that a small package of traditional Jell-O sweetened with sugar would weigh a LOT more than 1/3 of an ounce!

The sugar-free should work OK in the recipe, but that would account for the weight difference.

Mine is a Jello Light raspberry. It probably is sugar free. It says it makes 4 servings of 1/4 cup each.

Daniele
    newcook

They don't use the "light" designation here in the US, but I'm guessing that it IS the sugar-free type. You should be able to take a look at the ingredients to see if it contains sugar or an artificial sweetener. Again, you can probably use it in your recipe, but that would explain the weight difference between what the recipe specifies and what you have.

funniegrrl, does the 3 ounce package make 4 servings of 1/2 cup each?

Daniele
    newcook

Yes, it's not about the servings, it's about whether it contains sugar, which is heavy and bulky, or artifical sweetener, which weighs next to nothing. The same amount of gelatin and flavoring is in each, and if made according to directions with 2 cups of water, each will make 4 1/2-cup servings.

Ok thanks, I think the sugar free one should work for the recipe if it is for the same number of servings.

Daniele
    newcook

Well I made it and it is Yummy! It is not a fancy dish, its more a family or pot luck type dessert. I brought a big piece to my sister's house and she called to say it was really good.

By the way, the recipe doesn't say anything about adding oil to the cake mix part. I added the amount on the package. I'm not sure if I was supposed to or not, but it was really good with it. I know my sister will be requesting again.

Daniele
    newcook