Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze a cooked meat loaf?

Can I freeze a cooked meat loaf?

I'm getting ready to head out of town for around 10 days. Due to work, my DH is unable to go with me. BOO HOO! I'm trying to make some things to put in the freezer so that he'll have some good meals while I am gone.

Do you think that meatloaf, once cooked, would freeze and then reheat okay?

If so, would you freeze the whole thing or freeze it in slices ready to serve. I have a FoodSaver.

TIA
    Bonnie

Hi Bonnie.

I freeze meatloaf all the time. Personally, I would freeze it by slice for convenience.

Hope you have a nice trip!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Sure - meatloaf and casseroles are ideal for freezing.

Since you are freezing it for one person to heat and eat, you should probably do it in portions meant for that person.

Reheating does tend to dry things out so you might want to think of freezing sauce, gravy or leaving instructions.

Yeah, because things tend to dry out when freezing, I was thinking you might want to do a compromise between freezing slices and freezing a whole meat loaf (in my experience freezing a bigger hunk will make it less vulnerable to drying out). Maybe you could freeze it in two-portion hunks, like enough for a dinner and a sandwich or two... just enough so that once it's thawed it could be eaten in a couple or few days.
    Also, whenever something is low moisture or is prone to drying out, like meatloaf, I'd suggest your DH throw it in the oven to reheat, rather than the microwave. It'll be less prone to getting hard dry spots, and will heat more evenly. You could make sure you use heavy foil when wrapping it in the freezer, rather than plastic, then he could just throw a chunk in the oven!
    I agree (speaking as a meatloaf lover!) with the other posts that meatloaf freezes well.
    Have a good trip! It's very nice of you to think about leaving your DH so well-provided for!

When I freeze cooked meat loaf, I bake it in a muffin tin and then freeze the "meat muffins". When ever I need an easy dinner, I take out exactly how many I need (usually 2 per serving) and bake at 350 until done.

I read this trick from someone on this board ages ago, but now I don't remember who.

I know not everyone has a Food Saver, but I seal food in 1 portion size and drop it in boiling water for about 6 minutes. Comes out hot and moist.
    Have to justify that Food Saver somehow!

Great ideas everyone. I LOVE the muffin pan tip. What a great idea. Wrapping in individual portions and then just being able to drop the foodsaver bag in boiling water sounds like just the ticket.

Thanks everyone.

Bonnie

Originally posted by bbenedict
    Wrapping in individual portions and then just being able to drop the foodsaver bag in boiling water sounds like just the ticket.

Much as I love the FoodSaver, I would hate doing this on both ends, and I do a lot of single portion freezing. If I were doing meatloaf, I'd do it just like I do individual slices of loaf cakes or muffins, just foil wrap individually (for slices) and throw into a freezer baggie, then unwrap and nuke the slices as needed. Boiling water, bag, UGH!

Bob