Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with mahi mahi?

What to do with mahi mahi?

Hi folks!

We're having a recently-married couple over for dinner tonight, don't know them very well, but know they're "healthy"-types. He only eats "feathers or fins". I've got frozen cod and mahi mahi fillets in the freezer...and chicken breasts... planning to go to the grocery store today... not sure what to make for dinner. CL's "kitchen assistant" Web site only lists ONE recipe for mahi mahi ( ) - a mango seviche.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has a "summery, delicious and not TOO time consuming" recipe, suitable for guests, that stars mahi mahi or cod? TIA!!!
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

This recipe from CL March 2003 is fantastic, I've made it many times.

Garlic-Studded Mahimahi with Sage Butter

Blanching the garlic mellows its pungency.

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    4 (6-ounce) mahimahi or other firm whitefish fillets
    Cooking spray
    5 teaspoons butter, softened
    1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 475.
    Place garlic in a small saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Drain and cool slightly. Make several small slits on outside of fillets; stuff with garlic. Place fillets on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine butter, sage, salt, and pepper; spread evenly over fillets. Bake at 475 for 13 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 193(28% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 31.8g; CHOLESTEROL 137mg; CALCIUM 38mg; SODIUM 492mg; FIBER 0.1g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 1.2g
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I grilled mahi mahi without a recipe -- just a ligth brush of olive oil and sprinkled with some grilling herbs and seasoned pepper. You could even do some lemon pepper and thyme. It doesn't need a lot. Then make a fruit salsa to serve with it -- chopped melon, a jalapeno, maybe some sweet red pepper for added color and some thinly sliced green onions or finely chopped sweet onion. A little fresh pineappleor mango goes well i a fruit salsa too. Add a little salt and pepper, lemon or lime juice or white basalmic to taste. Serve with a pilaf or couscous and a salad or something green that calls out to you (I've been seeing pretty artichokes lately and green beans are in full swing now).

Thanks Beth and 1MegMeg! Those both sound good.

Funny, the ingredients you (Beth) list for the salsa are almost identical for CL's ingredients for their Mango Mahi Seviche (less citrus juice, of course). Maybe I will make the Seviche but grill instead of marinate it.

Only thing is, I was thinking about making this jicama salad to have on the side, (never bought a jicama before) but those ingredients are really similar to the salsa...
    Jicama Orange Salad

I'm sure I'll figure something out! Thanks again.
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

You could also use mahi mahi for CL's Broiled Red Snapper with Sicilian Tomato Pesto. I always grill the fish and have subbed Tilapia as well. I'm sure you could use any mild fish and it would turn out good. This recipe is quick and easy!!