Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipes from Raley's

Recipes from Raley's

I have enjoyed a number of recipes from my local grocery store, the western chain of Raley's (which also includes some other stores). The recipes are not super gourmet. They use commonly available ingredients and are not complicated or overly expensive. The Sacramento area, where this independently-owned chain got its start is culturally conservative, with whole culinary trends coming and going without once landing in the region. Their recipes do, however, work well and reflect the store's decades-long dedication to providing the best of the astonishingly varied produce grown in our part of the world. The address is below:

http://www.raleys.com/cfapps/recipes/reccntr.cfm

Here is a sample of one of their simple, tasty dishes.

Spinach, Apple & Mesquite Turkey Salad

1 package spinach
    1 pound mesquite turkey, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (plain cooked turkey would also be fine)
    a large Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    3/4 cup Briannnas Blush Wine vinaigrette (I used much less; any fairly sweet vinaigretted should work)

Prep time: 10 minutes

Place spinach in a large bowl. Cut turkey into julienne strips and add to spinach with apple, pecans, and onions. toss with vinaigrette and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

Kay
    Last edited by Kay Henderson; 08-04-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks, Kay, for posting the recipe. I visit Sacramento often (my hometown) and my mom always has recipes for me to try that she gets from there. Actually, BelAir, but aren't they pretty much the same market? My sister-in-law shops at Raley's.

thanks for that link. I found a few recipes I want to try. there are a lot of good looking, healthy recipes there!

A fun new website. Thanks for posting. Darla

msbillie--

Yes, Raley's owns Bel Air, and the Bay Area chain, Nob Hill, as well. It was a class act when I was growing up and it is a class act now. I have always loved their produce ads -- "Mr. Nakamura's corn is ready!"

Kay