Community Message Boards

Thread: Whole Grain Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Whole Grain Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Does anyone have a great recipe for oatmeal cookies made with whole wheat? Search not working very well....

Thanks

I have a recipe for gingersnap cookies that I think, Wallycat posted. These are very good.

I usually don't have pastry flour on hand so just use regular whole wheat flour. I generally use 1/2 cup of sugar instead of the 3/4 cups.

I have not yet found a good whole grain oatmeal type cookie, but when I do I'll keep you in mind. Oatmeal/raisin cookies are one of our favourites here.

Ginger Snaps

1-1/2 cups whole wheat (or white) pastry flour
    3/4 cup sugar (can be reduced slightly)
    3/4 cup rolled oats
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 cup canola oil (if reduce to 1/3 cup makes a slightly dry dough)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 375

Mix flour, sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves together. In separate bowl mix together canola oil, egg and molasses. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine.

Drop by teaspoon on slipat lined cookie sheet. Press down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake about 12 mintues, bake slightly less for a softer cookie. Cook on rack.

CLBB Martha Stewart Living

** Subsitution for pastry flour 7/8 cup whole wheat flour plus 2 tbsp cornstarch

These are a soft cookie made with half of the flour being whole wheat. Because of their soft, grainy texture, you could probably increase the proportion of whole wheat. I'd probably bump it up to 3/4 for starters. If you don't want the chunky texture of whole grain oats and sliced almonds, you could give them a pulse or two in the food processor first. The taste is great.

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

1 c unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 c brown sugar
    3/4 c cane syrup (such as Steen's or Mrs. Refro's)
    1 whole egg plus 1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c unbleached all purpose flour
    1-1/4 c whole wheat flour
    3 cups oatmeal
    1 cup nuts (I tried both chopped pecans and sliced almonds-- good either way)
    1 cup dried cranberries

Cream butter and sugars; add egg, egg white and extracts. and mix well/ Blend in soda, salt and spices, then flours and mix well. Stir in oatmeal, nuts and cranberries. Let dough rest for 5-10 minutes before baking. Bake on greased sheets at 350 until set and they begin to turn golden brown on edges.

These cookies do not spread much -- you may want to use a large scoop and flatten slightly. Also, I made the first batch late and night and did not finish baking them. When I took the remaining dough from the refrigerator and baked it, the texture was different. I think the oatmeal had soaked up more moisture -- they were a bit cakier instead of thin and chewey. The difference between the first and second batch was just 1/4 added whole wheat flour and a added 1/2 cup oatmeal in the second (posted above). You could play with those two ingredients or letting the dough stand in the fridge before baking to get the texture you like best.

I made these cookies for breakfast this weekend, and both DH and I thought they were great!

Rise and Shine Cookies

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/4 c. whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    Egg sub. equivalent to 1 egg
    3 Tbsp. canola oil
    1 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
    1/2 c. wheat germ

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2) In small bowl, stir together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
    3) In large bowl, combine brown sugar, egg sub., and canola oil. Stir until well combined. Stir in flour mixture, oats and wheat germ.
    4) Drop dough by rounded tablespoons about 1-inch apart on a baking sheet. Flatten slightly to a 2-inch diameter with your hand. Bake 10 min. or until lightly golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Store cookies in an airtight container for one week or in the freezer for several weeks.
    Yields: 15 cookies, 2 per serving
    Nutrition Facts: 116 cal per serving, Protein: 3g, Carbs: 18g, Chol: 0mg, Sod: 74mg, Total Fat: 4g, Sat Fat: 1g
    -Kerry

Too funny! I just sat down to thank Gail for the Zucchini Otameal Cookie recipe she gave me half a year or so ago - I finally made them last night and thought they had a wonderful flavor (I did up the spices a bit). My only other changes were to use 3/4 cup WW flour and 1-1/4 regular, as I've not always had great success baking with only WW, and I also butter instead of margarine.

Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    From the Los Angeles Tiems California Cookbook

1/2 cup margarine
    3/4 cup honey
    1 egg
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup grated zucchini
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup chopped dates or raisins

Cream margarine with honey. Add egg and beat well. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with zucchini to egg mixture. Stir in oats and dates. Drop by teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375F 10-12 minutes.
    Makes 5 dozen (yea, right )

Here's one that has received good reviews - it's a recipe from the Great Harvest Bread Company. If you want to make them more like an oatmeal cookie, you could leave out the chocolate chips and mabye add some raisins.

Great Harvest Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups brown sugar, packed
    1 cup butter
    2 cups rolled oats
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon milk
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

2. Beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add oats, eggs, molasses and milk; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

3. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and drop about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for 12 to 13 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on racks. Makes 24 giant cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice
    Too funny! I just sat down to thank Gail for the Zucchini Otameal Cookie recipe she gave me
    What kind of texture did these have?

My neighbor gave me a lot of zucchini - I put some grated zucchini in the freezer and this sounds like an interesting way to use up some of the 7+ cups I have left even after making two loaves of zucchini bread!

Good question - I'd thought I should mention that, as texture can be important to people. Using butter instead of margarine, and the change in flour indicated, these came out soft and chewey. They would be very nice with a cup of hot black tea!

YUM! Thanks for all of the responses! DH and I may have to make cookies this weekend!!!

Using butter instead of margarine, and the change in flour indicated, these came out soft and chewey.
    Sounds promising. The only texture I really don't care for so much in cookie is a muffin-like texture - they leave me thinking that I might as well have made muffins!

[QUOTE=lindrusso]Here's one that has received good reviews - it's a recipe from the Great Harvest Bread Company. If you want to make them more like an oatmeal cookie, you could leave out the chocolate chips and mabye add some raisins. QUOTE]

Do you know if this recipe actually came from Great Harvest or is the clone that had been posted on the BB in the past? I have been trying to recreate the GH cookies for years (since my grad school days in MI where I first had them!) and tried the clone-although it was good-to me-it wasn't the GH one. Thanks in advance!

Sheila in MD

Too funny! I just sat down to thank Gail for the Zucchini Otameal Cookie recipe she gave me half a year or so ago - I finally made them last night and thought they had a wonderful flavor (I did up the spices a bit). My only other changes were to use 3/4 cup WW flour and 1-1/4 regular, as I've not always had great success baking with only WW, and I also butter instead of margarine.

Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies
    From the Los Angeles Tiems California Cookbook

1/2 cup margarine
    3/4 cup honey
    1 egg
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup grated zucchini
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup chopped dates or raisins

Cream margarine with honey. Add egg and beat well. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with zucchini to egg mixture. Stir in oats and dates. Drop by teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375F 10-12 minutes.
    Makes 5 dozen (yea, right )
    I made these recently, too, and also thought they were great! I used butter and all WW flour, and I didn't think they tasted like they had all WW flour in them. Not too heavy or dense at all the way a lot of WW baked goods can be.

Kari

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso
    Sounds promising. The only texture I really don't care for so much in cookie is a muffin-like texture - they leave me thinking that I might as well have made muffins!
    Here's another good zucchini cookie recipe that's not muff-like. I only got 24 cookies instead of 48, and I used raisins instead of dates. These would also be good with chocolate chips.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini, Peanut and Oatmeal Cookies

Recipe By :Regina Schrambling
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup unsalted butter -- softened
    1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
    3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups coarsely grated green zucchini -- loosely packed
    1 cup finely chopped pitted dates

PREHEAT oven to 375F.

In a large bowl and using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the butter, peanut butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Then stir in the oats, zucchini and dates, mixing well. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.

Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Source:
    "SQUASH: A Country Garden Cookbook (found on www.recipesource.com)"
    Yield:
    "4 dozen"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 161 Calories; 7g Fat (37.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : VARIATIONS: Replace dates with a combination of chocolate chips, raisins or
    dried cherries. Replace zucchini with other squash -- winter or summer
    varieties.

COMMENTS: A chewy and moist drop cookie. These cookies are not good
    keepers: plan on eating them within a day of baking.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 27096 0

Hi Hippie-Chick!
    This is my favorite chocolate chip cookies, I would pick this one over a regular cc cookie anytime. That said, I am not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies, but I do like oatmeal raisins cookies a lot!! (I like anything with oatmeal in it!)
    I have adapted this recipe to an oatmeal raisin cookie by simply substituting the chocolate chips by raisins and adding cinnamon to the batter, and they turned out great! (you can also use all brown sugar and get a chewier cookie!)
    Hope you like it!
    Ana

Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies
    3/4 c rolled oats
    1 c whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 c butter -- softened
    1/4 c canola oil
    1/3 c sugar
    1/3 c packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 c chocolate chips

Grind oats in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a bowl and stir in flour, soda, and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add sugars, oil, egg, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Stir in chips. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cookies are firm around the edges and golden on top. makes 30 cookies

Per cookie: 99 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono), 12 g carb, 1 g protein, 1 g fiber
    Source: "Eating Well, Spring 2004"

Quote Originally Posted by klrickrode
    I made these cookies for breakfast this weekend, and both DH and I thought they were great!

Rise and Shine Cookies
    What did you serve with them for breakfast? I sometimes like to have a couple of cookies, a banana, some nuts, and on for breakfast, so I've been on the lookout for a cookie that's a little healthier. This looks like it may work!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner