Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you sneak food into the movies?

Do you sneak food into the movies?

And if so, what do you pack in your purse? I love to have something to munch on but hate the calorie packed choices at the theatre.

I don't mind supporting the theatre with over priced diet drinks, but it is the junk food that is the problem. I am suspicious of the popcorn and wonder if anyone knows the calorie/transfat counts on that.
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Yup...already cooked popcorn in baggies in one purse and m&ms in another Im with you on the health and to over pricing. HOWEVER< Ive only done that 2x, as I usually chose not to eat in the theatre.

Most of the time, we have dinner or go out to dinner before the movies and so do not eat while at the movies. However, the few times we haven't eaten first, we take baggies, share a large buttered popcorn and buy drinks. I never was one for candy at the movies and have never carried food in, but wouldn't turn my nose up at someone who does. TO EACH HIS OWN, I say!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

We just had a thread on this not too long ago - but with the search function not working, I'm not sure I can find it. In the meantime, you asked about the calorie/fat counts on the popcorn. Here you go - from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (also known as CSPI).

Movie Madness

Why is movie theater popcorn so much worse than the supermarket variety? Because its usually popped in highly saturated coconut oil, and because the servings are on steroids. The seven cups in a buttered small, for example, have 600 calories and 1-1/2 days worth of saturated fat. large (20 cups) with butter has 1,600 calories and nearly four days sat fat. Some theaters pop in partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is better for your heart, and a few use non-hydrogenated oil, which is best (though none are
    good for your waistline).

They then rated different theaters (I couldn't get the matrixes to copy and paste here because of their formatting - so I'm typing it here)

Rated X - AMC, Edwards, Hoyts, Regal, United Artists (because they all use coconut oil).

Rated R - Carmike, CineMark, Cineplex Odeon, Loews, Multiplex, Murvico, Showcase (because they use partially hydrogenated canola oil)

Rated PG - Century, GKC (because they use non-hydrogenated canola or sunflower oil)

Rated G - Your own air-popped popcorn that you sneak in

Nutritional Breakdown of Movie Theater Popcorn (popped in coconut oil):

Kid's size (5 cups) with Butter - 470 Cals, 37g total fat 22g Sat Fat
    Small ( 7 cups) with Butter - 630 Cals, 50g total fat 29g Sat Fat
    Medium (11 cups) with Butter - 910 Cals, 71g total fat 41g Sat Fat
    Medium (16 cups) with Butter - 1,220 Cals, 97g total fat 56g Sat Fat
    Large (20 cups) with Butter - 1,640 Cals, 126g total fat 73g Sat Fat

Aren't you glad you asked??

Quite apart from the health factors I don't see how theatre operators would be surprised at people doing this because of the price gouging that goes on at the concession stand for their crappy food. With tickets and something from the concession stand it's not a cheap night out anymore. We only go when there's something we'd really like to see on a the big screen like an action/adventure movie with great special effects. I'm usually happy with just a soda (even though a small is usually $3+ - outrageous) but if I wanted something to eat I'd bring my own.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Years ago when I was writing, I did an article on movie theaters and had to interview owners. Keep in mind this was 1982 but the overwhelming response to the complaints about prices was this: It costs so much to bring in the hot movies, that the only way they can make any money at all is from the concessions. Things might have changed since then, but I was told that the movies don't magically show up at the theater's doorstep, they have to buy/order them. The really first-rate movies cost a lot more, and the ticket prices can't keep them in the black, so they have to make their $$ with the concessions inside. If everyone brought their own, the theaters would actually lose money.

That said, I still don't buy much at the concessions. Hubby and I will usually share a large lemonade, and I'll bring stuff in. Most of the time it's Quaker Rice Snacks, Teddy Grahams or Pirates Booty, something that's compact and still snack-y. Occasionally beef jerky as well. We gave up on movie popcorn years ago, when we realized exactly what we were 'treating ourselves' to. Our reasoning was we wouldn't buy that popcorn at the store to eat in front of our own TV watching a movie, so why would we pay so much more for the same heart-attack-in-a-bucket to watch that same movie on the big screen?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

We take food into the theater, but we don't have to sneak it. Bringing food in is allowed by all the theaters here, so we stop off at the grocery and pick up a snack first.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by LaraW
    Bringing food in is allowed by all the theaters here, so we stop off at the grocery and pick up a snack first.
    and yet the theatres are still in business in Denver. Kind of gives the lie to the excuse Jewel heard in 1982 about the cost of buying the movies being so exhorbitant they have to gouge people at the concession stand. IF that were true, I think people would be more understanding of their ticket prices being raised to reflect that cost instead of feeling like they were being ripped off for food.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I found the previous thread on this topic (only by doing a search on my own username 0.

Movie theater concessions
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt