Community Message Boards

Thread: best cut of beef for stew in crock pot?

Question best cut of beef for stew in crock pot?

i've seen some beef stew recipes that call for "stew beef". i have no clue what cut they are talking about. what is the best cut of beef for a stew in a crock pot? tia

I've always been able to find beef already cut up labeled as "stew beef" so that I what I typically use. Have you checked your market?

I read one time in Cooks Ill. that the best beef for stew was London Broil (shoulder) because you never know what kind of meat they're using when it's labeled "stew beef(" it could be anything thats left over).At least you are getting all the same kind of meat that will cook uniformly.I don't know if this applies to a crock pot but I bet it would work because I did a beef stew in the oven and it was fabulous....can you imagine how good it would be in the crockpot with that slow cooking.

Stew beef in the grocers is sometimes scraps of meat from roasts, cutting steaks, etc. It could be sirloin, tenderloin, chuck, round--you name it. In my personal experience, most groceries I have shopped at just use scrap chuck pieces for stew meat, or label them as chuck stew or whatever cut it is.

Now, the "stew meat" at COSTCO is tenderloin. I know my meats, and I recognized the meat. Hey, I don't need whole tenderloin... I can deal with 2" thick pieces to pan fry. *

*for a long cooking stew, chewier cuts like chuck are better than tenderloin. They have connective tissues that break down and become soft. Tenderloin, ribeye, and sirloin don't and they'll just dissolve after 3 hours in liquid... not to mention costing a lot more per pound.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

99% of the time, the only beef that goes into my crockpot is chuck roast. It's more marbled so it always comes out tender every time! My experience is that most labeled 'stew meat' is simply scraps. If it's too lean, it will slow cook up dry and tough, so I stick with my pal Chuck!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

i've seen the "stew meat" in the grocery...it looks pretty dubious to me. chuck sounds like the way to go...thanks!

Hedy

Quote Originally Posted by mbrogier

Now, the "stew meat" at COSTCO is tenderloin. I know my meats, and I recognized the meat. Hey, I don't need whole tenderloin... I can deal with 2" thick pieces to pan fry. *
    Really?? I just bought a bunch for making stew, now what the heck do I do with 8 pounds of tenderloin pieces?!
    Karen

Beef Stroganoff, Steak Dianne...

look at the pieces... if you see a lot of graining and marbling, it's probably chuck. If it is pretty tender and no marbling, it is probably tenderloin. (fry up a piece and taste it. Does it taste like steak or shoe?? )

The last batch of "stew meat" I got at my COSTCO was tenderloin. It might be that was what they had that day. I live near a high rent district, so they sell a ton of steaks and cut up tenderloin. That may vary from area to area.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I agree with Jewel. I always use Chuck Roast.