Community Message Boards

Thread: Do I tip a Massage Therapist in Dr. Office?

Do I tip a Massage Therapist in Dr. Office?

Iíve been going to a chiropractor for a few months now and because of very tight muscles in my back, she suggested that I try the massage therapist in her office. These are not relaxing massages; they are deep tissue, often painful, massages.

So, my question is do I tip a massage therapist that works out of a doctorís office? Iíve been told that you donít, just like you wouldnít tip a physical therapist.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Krystal

I had to get treatment from a massage therapist at my chiropractor's office and I never tipped her. I think it would have felt weird tipping someone when my insurance was paying for her treatments.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

All right board, repeat after me:

"If I have to ask if I need to tip, I don't need to tip"

I tip "Kissy Suzuki" and "Trixie"....but they do a slightly different type of massage.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

DH gets a weekly or every-two-weeks deep tissue massage at his chiro's office. Insurance covers the cost, and he does not have a co-pay, but he tips her $10 for every 60-minute visit.

I wouldn't, any more than I would tip the dental hygienist at my dentist's office. It doesn't seem appropriate to a professional/medical setting.

I have gotten massages at a "spa" and a medical massage. I asked when I got the medical massage and was told that it was a medical service so no tipping. They should be charging a bit more because of extra certification anyways.

My husband is a Massage Therapist...he does medical massage. He has patients who tip him but they are usually the ones that are not insurance patients.

We have a massage clinic that is not a spa so it is really more medical. Tips are not expected. (not saying they are not appreciated!! )
    Life is Good

I am a massage therapist, and although I am self-employed, my office is inside a physical therapist's office. Most of the clients I get through him do not tip, and I assume that is because they look at it more as a medical expense (i.e., the dental hygienist comment). Most of the clients I get through my own advertising or word of mouth do tip.

It is totally at your discretion, and tips are always appreciated, but not always expected.

My experience is that most CMTs who work in chiropractor's offices work hard and are not paid all that well, so a tip of any size would probably really be appreciated.

BTW, Escher, I don't agree with the "if I have to ask if I need to tip, I don't have to tip" comment....there are many instances where I haven't been sure and came to find out later it was common. And then there are my clients who ask if they are supposed to tip....am I supposed to say "no"? They certainly don't have to, and it doesn't hurt my feelings if they don't, but in the real world most people do. But that's just me...