Community Message Boards

Thread: substituting applesauce for oil in cake

substituting applesauce for oil in cake

hi,
    i would like to substitute part of the oil in an apple cake with applesauce, the recipe requires 3/4 cup oil and i would like to use less.
    Are there any rules for substitutions etc?
    thanks
    loridori

Without seeing the recipe, it's hard to say. If I were making this, I'd probably go with 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/4 cup oil.

The best tip I ever read was from Don Mauer who says you should always drain your applesauce on paper towels before measuring it and putting it in the batter. The paper towels soak up the extra water in the apple sauce which would otherwise create steam and contribute to the rubberiness you often find in lower fat baked goods.

Quote Originally Posted by annagins
    The best tip I ever read was from Don Mauer who says you should always drain your applesauce on paper towels before measuring it and putting it in the batter. The paper towels soak up the extra water in the apple sauce which would otherwise create steam and contribute to the rubberiness you often find in lower fat baked goods.
    Once I heard this tip some time ago I've had much better success with using Applesauce as a sub and the texture coming out better. I always do it this way now.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

If you sub applesauce for oil in a cake you are taking to a bake sale or church, please let people know there is fruit in it. I am very allergic to apples, and I dread church dinners because I know people sub this (I used to before I became allergic) and you can't tell by looking.

I have also had success just reducing the oil with no substitution. I'd try 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 to test.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Lowfat yogurt also makes for a good substitute.
    Maria

I've found that the absolute best oil substitute (and I've tried drained applesauce and yogurt) is to use pureed pears. Either buy the baby food pears, or just use canned pears (in juice). Drain and whirl in the processor until smooth.

Also, it's best not to use a substitute for all of the oil. At most, 3/4 substitute to 1/4 canola oil works best for me. Sometimes, I "splurge" and do half and half...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)