Community Message Boards

Thread: Using a Nesco Roaster

Using a Nesco Roaster

I'm planning to make Giada's Roasted Balsamic Chicken tomorrow night for Rosh Hashanah dinner and, because I'm going to have a million and one dishes to heat up, thought I'd make this in the Nesco Roaster I was given a couple of years ago (and have NEVER used ... )

So, I'm assuming there's no reason I can't use the Nesco for this - but is there anything I'd need to do differently? (cook it for less/more time, etc.)?

Just thought I'd ask for some tips from those of you who use a Nesco. Didn't want to be experimenting for a holiday dinner.

Here's the recipe, as posted by Bob -

Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette
    (Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis)

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours
    Cook Time: 1 hour

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 (4-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces (giblets, neck and backbone reserved for another use)
    1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the vinaigrette and chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag; seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the chicken pieces occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from the bag and arrange the chicken pieces on a large greased baking dish. Roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 1 hour. If your chicken browns too quickly, cover it with foil for the remaining cooking time. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Place the baking dish on a burner over medium-low heat. Whisk the chicken broth into the pan drippings, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the baking sheet with a wooden spoon and mixing them into the broth and pan drippings. Drizzle the pan drippings over the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the chicken, and serve.

Thanks!

I think it will work just fine in the roaster. Can remember my aunt doing the turkey in her roaster since she lived in an apt and had a one small oven but often made Thanksgiving dinner for 12. I do think that some models brown better than others but with the balsamic glaze it shouldn't make a difference.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks Sneezles!

I have only roasted a turkey in mine but I believe you can really use it as you would an oven....bake a cake etc. Just look over the booklet that came with it and you should be fine.