Community Message Boards

Thread: Slow Cooker Applesauce, help!

Slow Cooker Applesauce, help!

Many thanks to previous writers for listing slow cooker applesauce as one of their favorite things to make with apples. I tried it today, using sugar, water, cinnamon and chopped apples on low for 8 hrs. The result was very tasty, delicious in fact, but brown. My children ate it but they frowned at its color the entire time. Lovely children.

Was the brown color caused solely from the cinnamon? I only used a teaspoon. Anyone ever made applesauce in the slow cooker and actually had it turn out the color of Mott's??

Thanks!

Mine is always dark but then I add lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. But, with no preservatives I would think that's the way it all is. Maybe someone else knows something different.

Robyn

Applesauce

I believe the colouring in applesauce comes from the skin. I always wash the apples and then cut them into about eight pieces - skin & stems still attached. Place them in a pot, no water as the apples have a lot of moisture in them. When they come to a boil, simmer, stirring every once in a while, until they are soft and mushy and to the consistency that you want.

Using a food mill, load a cup or two at a time. This will separate the pulp from the pits and the skin and depending on the colouring in the apple skin will depend on the colouring that the apple sauce takes on - sometimes it is really pink and other times a light pink tone. It's only at this point that I add a bit of brown sugar to it. MMMMMM - just like Grandma made!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwismommy
    I believe the colouring in applesauce comes from the skin.
    I don't think that's it because I peel my apples before cooking and most of the time use green apples anyhow. The skin might be why you get a pinkish tone instead of brown but I think the apples brown just like they would brown if cut and left out.

Robyn

I've made slow cooker applesauce that used those little red cinnamon red hot candies, and they turned the sauce a lovely pink. Let me see if I can find the recipe...

Here it is:

Rosy Cinnamon Applesauce

from Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery

1/4 cup hot water
    1/2 cup red hot candies
    4 to 5 large Granny Smith apples
    1/4 cup sugar

In a slow cooker, combine hot water and red hot candies. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel, core and finely chop apples. Stir apples and sugar into water and red hots until thoroughly combined. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours. If a smooth sauce is desired, process in a blender or food processor until pureed. Serve warm or cold.

I have made crockpot applesauce several times over the summer, and it always has a dark brown color. I only use about a tsp of cinnamon, also, and I add a spoonful of lemon juice as well. The lemon juice adds a really nice touch to the flavor, but the end product still comes out brown.

If your sauce is turning out tasty, the kids will not be frowning for long. They will quickly get used to the color and it will soon be a moot point.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but...I make homemade babyfood, and with that of course entails homemade apple sauce. I've made probably 15 batches and 1.) it depends on the apples I use and 2.) depends on if I add a spice. If I just bake for 30 mins on 350 degrees w/notbing else, then my sauce is whitish/yellow. If I over bake them, then they are somewhat brown, and if you add cinnamon to that-you have a really dark sauce. I also truly believe that it is the ripeness of the apples that count. HTH!!

Yes, mine always turns out to be a somewhat darker color than processed applesauce as well. I agree with Kathy B that as long as it is tasty, the kids will get use to the color. I haven't ever had mine turn out to be an unappealing color, just different than processed.

Love that sound of that recipe, Kathryn Y. I will have to try it for sure!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I make mine with some fresh frozen cranberries and a little sugar. The applesauce comes out rosy and delicious.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.