Community Message Boards

Thread: How to season brown rice? Ideas?

How to season brown rice? Ideas?

What do you season your brown rice with? Just looking for some ideas as this is something we are incorporating into our menu.

We tried a small amount of curry powder and garlic powder on it last night to go with some asian chicken...which wasn't bad...

Any other ideas for seasonings that go well with brown rice? Would you mind approximating amounts you use?

I like to saute some chopped onion and mushrooms. I also add a crushed clove of garlic. We really enjoy this. I bake the rice. The recipe for the baked brown rice is on the bb. Sorry I don't know how to link you to it.

Vicky

I usually only make rice if it's going to be a base for something, so I don't typically flavor it. But, you can perk up rice (or couscous) instantly by cooking in broth rather than water. Also, you could saute some aromatics in the pot before adding the liquid and rice.

This post contains a rice recipe that I really liked. Naturally you could use brown rice instead of white, just adjust the cooking time.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=everyday

That is a good idea... I will try cooking it in broth next time. My hubby is not a fan of rice.. he thinks it is very bland. I like rice however...and since I like to use it as a side (with chicken, etc.) I have to find ways to "flavor" it up with seasonings so he'll eat it happily. I just truthfully have very little idea on what seasonings work on rice...

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl
    I usually only make rice if it's going to be a base for something, so I don't typically flavor it. But, you can perk up rice (or couscous) instantly by cooking in broth rather than water. Also, you could saute some aromatics in the pot before adding the liquid and rice.

This post contains a rice recipe that I really liked. Naturally you could use brown rice instead of white, just adjust the cooking time.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=everyday

We buy an organic brown jasmine rice that needs just a touch of butter and salt during cooking. It has a lightly nutty, almost popcorn-like flavor. The brand is Lowell Farms (they also have organic white jasmine rice as well). We like it a lot better than standard brown rice.

Michelle

I've nothing as organized as a recipe here, but what I usually do is cook the rice in broth then add sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic and lightly toasted walnuts. The walnuts really do it for us!

Also, a tip I found here on the Board...cook about three times what you'll need and freeze in serving portions to be nuked as needed.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

I have a really yummy old CL recipe that calls for raisins and some really interesting spices. I'll try to find it.

If your DH thinks rice is too bland, he just hasn't tried it right yet!!

I serve brown rice with things like miso-glazed salmon, chile-glazed tofu, etc. and I always have a jar of gomasio on the table; it's basically toasted sesame seeds and sea salt, and adds a great nutty flavor.

I just mentioned on another thread that green onions, chopped tomatoes, nuts and bacon are good additions to rice, white or brown. I also second using at least some broth in the liquid in which rice is cooked. In my experience, recipes for wild rice also work well for brown rice.

Michelle's "organic brown jasmine rice" sounds intriguing and I'm going to look for it.

Kay

Such great ideas.. thanks to everyone. I may try the organic jasmine brown rice... as I love basmati cause to me it has a little bit of a nutty flavor to it. Will def. work with the broth.. and it sounds like garlic, gomasio, onions, mushrooms...even nuts and raisons... seem to be the favorites in "add-ins".

Is it saffron that people use for indian rice? My neighbor made the best tasting yellow rice one time... and that was faboulous with chicken. Anyone know what the seasoning is? And how much is used?

Also - and completly off-topic... I scorched a pan terribly last night while heating up a marinade of brown sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper (set the smoke detector off!). The marinade is burnt onto the pan and I can not get it off. I have tried putting dish soap in the pan and boiling to no avail... any other ideas?

Seasoned brown rice

I always cook any rice I make in chicken broth. I also add lots of fresh cracked pepper and some fresh herbs, your choice to it -- no salt needed because the broth has plenty in it.

Suz

I add sauted mushrooms, Mrs. Dash garlic and herb and crumbled feta. Everyone has always loved it.

Yellow rice CAN have saffron but it can also be yellow from tumeric. I don't know that I've seen yellow rice used in Indian cooking, although I don't have a ton of experience with Indian food. I HAVE seen it in Middle Eastern (i.e., Turkish, Iranian, etc.) cooking as well as Cuban (served with black beans is a classic). You can buy a rice mix from Mahatma I think that is called "Yellow Rice" -- comes in foil-like tubes. It's very good, if too salty for my tastes these days.

Two possibilities on your scorched pan...Dawn makes something called, "Power Dissolver" that has been good for me with utensils used on the grill. Also, I read somewhere that if you put a clothes dryer sheet (like Bounce) in the bottom of the pan, run water over it and let it sit overnight, it should come up. Haven't tried it myself...but it's worth a try!

Good luck!
    Last edited by shscharles; 10-17-2005 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

I've had good luck with scorched pans with this method: Fill to cover the scorch, or at least 1/2 way. Dump in a good quantity of baking soda -- stir and add until the water holds as much of the soda in solution as it can. Bring to a boil and then simmer a good long while, 15 or 20 minutes or so, adding water if it starts to get too low. Then clean the pot as normal, using a plastic scrubby if needed. If all of the scorch doesn't come off, repeat the soda/water process and wash again.

Hi Crispywafers! (I like your nickname!)
    I always cook brown rice with chicken (or vegetable) broth. I think it imparts great flavor to the rice. And the way I like to eat brown rice the most is to mix in some butter and grated parmesan when it is hot, the butter melts and the cheese incorporates making a kind of "risotto" thing, so good!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by crispywafers
    Such great ideas.. thanks to everyone. I may try the organic jasmine brown rice... as I love basmati cause to me it has a little bit of a nutty flavor to it. Will def. work with the broth.. and it sounds like garlic, gomasio, onions, mushrooms...even nuts and raisons... seem to be the favorites in "add-ins".

Is it saffron that people use for indian rice? My neighbor made the best tasting yellow rice one time... and that was faboulous with chicken. Anyone know what the seasoning is? And how much is used?

Also - and completly off-topic... I scorched a pan terribly last night while heating up a marinade of brown sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper (set the smoke detector off!). The marinade is burnt onto the pan and I can not get it off. I have tried putting dish soap in the pan and boiling to no avail... any other ideas?

On the scorched pan, I sometimes mix enough baking soda & water to create a paste & use that to scrub my cookie sheets when they get stuff burnt on them or they become sticky from cooking spray. Try that it might do the trick. Sometimes I have to let the pan soak with the paste on it for a bit. And of course the hotter the water the easier to work with, so I let it get as hot as I can tolerate.

I got in the habit recently of stirring in a Tbsp of organic coconut oil at the end...and I do make it in chicken broth (using Penzey) in the micro, using a recipe I found on this board

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for more rice ideas and for help with the pan. It will be put to use tonight as we are having fish.

I'm going to try the baking soda tricks tonight... I might let the paste sit on it this afternoon and then try boiling it tonight. I have never in my life scorched something this terribly-- I think the brown sugar carmalized at the bottom of the pan. The most luck I have had so far was chipping it with a knife.

I'll let you know how it goes!