Community Message Boards

Thread: Is bread flour the same as self-rising flour?

Question Is bread flour the same as self-rising flour?

Is bread flour the same as self-rising flour?
    -Amy-

Nope.
    Self rising flour is all-purpose flour with baking soda/baking powder/salt added to it. It is mostly found in the south.

Bread flour is either whole wheat or white flour that is a hard spring wheat...which gives it a higher protein content (more gluten/gliaden).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks, Wallycat!
    Since I don't have bread flour at home, and I'd like to make Alton's Chewy CCC tonight, would you sub WW versus AP?
    TIA!
    -Amy-

You might sub some WW, but I wouldn't sub all WW for bread flour and expect the same kind of results. WW is heavier and tends not to have the samw qualities. Sub all-purpose if you have it, but unless you buy a brand with a harder wheat (some brands of all purpose in some parts of the country have gluten and protein levels equal or at least approaching the levels of some bread flours).

Thumbs up

King Arthur Flour makes a really nice White Whole Wheat flour.. its really nice to work with...
    ~A

The new white whole wheat is a great hybrid because they grew this strain to be less bitter even with the bran.

If you want to use WW, I'd use WW pastry flour (soft wheat...soft spring wheat berries have less gluten than the hard winter).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'