Community Message Boards

Thread: What if it rains on Halloween??

What if it rains on Halloween??

Agggggh. We have a 70% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, so it's not looking good for trick-or-treating. My girls are only 4 and 5, and we've never had to deal with rain on Halloween yet, so I don't have a contingency plan. What kinds of ideas do you have for me if it rains tonight?

There is a shopping center nearby that has trick-or-treating, but it's all outdoors too, and there's no solid cover from building to building, so it would be much like running from house to house in the rain. Sigh!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Robin -

You must be in Houston too!!! I was trying to explain to my 3 1/2 year old this morning that it may be raining when we want to go trick or treating, to which she replied, " I'll just use an umbrella, Mom!" Which, I suppose, is an option. But what we will more than likely do, is go over to a friend's house where we will put an adult in each room with a door and let the kids trick or treat within the house - I know, not nearly as fun, but we're planning on turning the lights out and making it as realistic as we possibly can!

I hope you all have a fun night!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

It's raining right now in Portland. This means I will be taking a whole lot of Halloween candy into work tomorrow. Either that or the 2 or 3 kids that trick or treat at our house are going to get a candy bonanza.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

Depending on how bad the rain is, just use an umbrella. My MIL lives in an area where Halloween was last night and it was raining. She said the kids just used umbrellas. I'm assuming it isn't too cold?

We are SO praying for rain. Everything is dying, it's been so dry. It is a shame if it's on Halloween, but we really will be happy to see any moisture!
    Margaret

Sometimes places have indoor trick-or-treating. I've heard of this at malls and places like that. Maybe that's an option?

In all of my years trick-or-treating I don't think it ever rained on us. I must have been lucky!

ETA: Whoops! Just re-read your post and saw that you already mentioned that option....

Also check local churches. A local church in my area sponsors a scare-free trick-or-treating celebration at the middle school that is a huge hit in my community.

If you look in your paper, you may find area events that are being held on Halloween. In addition to malls, churches and schools, sometimes retirements homes have trick or treating, too, and of course it is inside. We did that one year with our kids, and it was great. The residents had even made one room into a "haunted house"!

But I agree with using an umbrella unless it is a torrential downpour. It won't hurt them to get a little wet, and they will probably decide they've had enough a little earlier than usual. At least you won't have NIXED their fun from the start. JMHO.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I heard 80% chance of thinderstorms tonight. If it is raining and not too bad, I'm sure my guys will go out, but maybe not as far or not as long. They are 9 & 12, so it's a little different than 3, 4, 5. If there is lightening and thunder, they will be indoors and we'll figure something out.

I'm so glad that (for the first time in three years) we won't have SNOW today!!

I really think I would try with the umbrellas. My guess is if it is really cold, wet, miserable, the kids will want to give up after a few houses anyway.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Umbrellas and clear plastic garbage bags over costumes. That's what we always did as kids. We didn't care about the water but looking back I'm sure our parents did!

We always used raincoats/ponchos/umbrellas if it rained on Halloween. Nothing gets between me and my chocolate!

Umbrellas and a shorter route. Been there, done that!

I have lived here 4 years now and every year it has rained on Halloween. Not always hard rain - sometimes it has only been what they call a Hawaiian Blessing (a light mist) - and one year it just poured. We are very lucky that even when it rains it isn't cold and the kids just roll of their costumes and go barefoot and carry an umbrella. Heaven forbid they should miss out on their candy fix
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

In Seattle it is pretty rare that it doesn't rain during late October. However, Seattle rain is usually more light rain than a total down pour. We always wore our coats, had umbrellas etc.

Going to a local mall or church would probably be your best option.

It's POURING here! Lots of lightening and thunder and rain that looks like it's trying to make up for an 8 inch defecit. I hear we have severe weather warnings -- we may not be going out.

We lost power for awhile, very heavy rain and even some pea-size hail (poor horses were out in the pasture when the hail started ). So we've decided not to go to town for the trick or treaters (it's still raining and loads of thunder & lightening)...glad I didn't buy a ton of candy!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

It just really started around here. I picked up ice cream, reddi-wip, and bananas in case we have to stay in. Maybe we should just all plan on going tomorrow night. Can the Mayor make a proclaimation postponing Halloween?

We went to a fall festival at the local Methodist church last night so they already have PLENTY of candy (but not enough chocolate!)

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

The rain stopped here, but I have had only 11 trick or treaters. I hope we get some more.

Glad we didn't get any hail -- hope your horses weren't hurt or spooked too bad, Sneezles. Ouch!

Gee, it's amost 8pm here. Not raining, but a touch chilly and cloudy. No sign of trick-or-treaters. Not a single one. Tell me again why I bought candy?
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz
    Agggggh. We have a 70% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, so it's not looking good for trick-or-treating. My girls are only 4 and 5, and we've never had to deal with rain on Halloween yet, so I don't have a contingency plan. What kinds of ideas do you have for me if it rains tonight?

There is a shopping center nearby that has trick-or-treating, but it's all outdoors too, and there's no solid cover from building to building, so it would be much like running from house to house in the rain. Sigh!
    So was it raining or not? Did your kids do trick-or-treating?
    Chat with me on person.com

It rained like CRAZY from about 2:30 to 4:30, but by dark it was perfect out. So I worried for nothing. We were prepared to go out with umbrellas if necessary. However, as heavy as the afternoon storm was (thunder, lightning, and hail), that wouldn't have been possible. We would definitely have been housebound.

We had a great time. I hope everyone else did as well!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

It poured here until about 5:30pm, but then continued to rain pretty steady. We didn't let it stop us though...we trick or treated with umbrellas. The kids really raked in the candy as there weren't many kids out.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Robyn, are you to the west? We're to the north and I thought we would clear out on the rain on the earlier side, but it was still raining after 6. I think by 6:30 it was down to a drizzle and then stopped completely. All out trick or treating action went from a little before 7:00 to a just after 8:00. Usually we have a lot more earlier. I think a lot of kids went to the shopping centers or other places because of the rain. I think we had about 25. And a late comer who came back and stole the Halloween rubber duckies out of my fountain -- all 12 of them. Saved me a cold, wet job this morning, and I have another bag for next year.

It started to rain here in Chicago around 5:30pm ish - we got 5 Trick or Treaters last night I have so much candy left and neither my husband nor I will eat it. Any Ideas what I could do with it? Are there any places where you can donate "left over Halloween Candy"

Wink evil candy!

In Chicago up on the Northside.
    We had wave after wave of kids... including parents and grandparents (is the economy that bad?). Luckily we are just going to take the leftovers to the office and fatten up everyone... we'll look thinner!
    You could try some of the homeless shelters, off hand I can't recall where they are located.

JC

I thought that rain and halloween were just two things that automatically go together! We always wore raincoats (or some years our winter coats) over our costumes.

Beth,

I'm on the North side as well...just outside the North Loop...where are you?
    Terri _A