Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover mashed potatoes?

What to do with leftover mashed potatoes?

Okay, I made WAY too much last night. What to do with them? I have always found potato fritters, etc too greasy. Is there anything else to do with them? Thicken soups?

TIA!
    Beth
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

In my family we ALWAYS made potato pancakes with 'em ... LOL

You could probably turn them into a potato soup -- saute some aromatics, add to the pot with some milk/cream.

Another idea would be shepherd's pie, or any other type of casserole where the potatoes could be the top "crust."

Assuming I have leeks hanging out in the refrigerator (usually do this time of year), I will make a batch of Potato Leek Soup.

Here's what I do with the gift of leftover mashed potatoes:
    1. Thicken soups instead of added cream/flour
    2. Make patties, saute in both butter/light olive oil until golden.
    3. Use for Shepard's pie topping - I use ground turkey and LOTS of veggies.
    4. Mix with cooked, leftover sauerkraut, bake. It's a german dish called terdisch, and coming from a German family, this is home-cookin' for me. I would not expect most to try it, but it really is good! Really...

P.S. I love leftover mashed potatoes.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

leftover mashed potatoes...

do you mean there is such a thing? in our house, they might make it to the kitchen, but then DH or myself would stand over the sink and eat the rest...

still, this is an interesting concept and i'd love to know what people do just in case this ever happens to us (leftover mashed potatoes, that is...)

Have you noticed the 3 puree recipes in this month's CL? They all call for packaged refrigerated mashed potatoes. I've never bought such a product and thought that maybe leftover mashed potatoes would work. I have not made these so I don't know how good they are but I just wanted to bring them to your attention.

Cauliflower-Garlic Puree

Don't be alarmed by the large amount of garlic; cooking it in milk mellows the flavor. Try this puree in place of basic mashed potatoes.

2 cups packaged refrigerated mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
    5 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower (about 1 small head)
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    6 garlic cloves
    1 bay leaf
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt

Heat potatoes according to package directions. Keep warm.
    Cook cauliflower in boiling water 7 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Place fat-free milk, garlic cloves, and bay leaf in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Place cauliflower, milk mixture, butter, and salt in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally. Combine mashed potatoes and cauliflower mixture in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 72(41% from fat); FAT 3.3g (sat 1.5g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.3g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 33mg; SODIUM 331mg; FIBER 2.2g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.5g

Lorrie Corvin
    Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

Broccoli Puree with Parmesan

Mashed potatoes and broccoli combine with tangy cheese.

1 pound broccoli crowns (about 8 cups)
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Cook broccoli in boiling water 7 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place broccoli, cheese, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Combine potatoes and broccoli mixture in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 56(31% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 0.7g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 3.1g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 67mg; SODIUM 302mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.4g

Lorrie Corvin

Carrot-Coriander Puree

This lightly sweetened side is a nice alternative to sweet potatoes.

2 1/4 cups chopped carrot
    1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook carrot in boiling water 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place carrot, milk, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Combine potatoes and carrot mixture in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 48(28% from fat); FAT 1.5g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.4g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 20mg; SODIUM 215mg; FIBER 1.3g; IRON 0.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.3g

Lorrie Hulston Corvin

I mix left over mashed pototoes with some sort of bean, like pintos, black beans, blackeyed peas and toss in some spices/herbs that you like and seem right (for instance, cumin, bit of cayenne, cilantro, just whatever you like. I roll in light cornmeal and either bake or saute.

Potpie

At a Kansas City restaurant they make chicken potpie using potatoes instead of crust on the bottom. They put the potatoes on the bottom & sides of a deep bowl, fill with chicken, gravy & veggie mixture, and then stick a triangle of puff pastry in the top - more of a garnish than anything. My brother loves this dish.

Dorothy
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Gnocchi

How about making gnocchi pasta? Just adjust for the amount of potatoes you have. Great with tomato sauce or butter & parmesan.

Potato Gnocchi

5 Idaho potatoes - baked one hour at 350 degrees & mashed
    2 egg yolks, at room temperature
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
    1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
    1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour

In a large bowl mix egg yolks, salt, nutmeg and cheese. Add potatoes, then add the flour a little at a time until a soft dough forms & holds together. The dough should be soft, but firm enough to roll.

On a floured board, roll small amount of dough into small cylinders about 1-1/2 inches in diameter; cut each cylinder into 1/2 inch pieces. Take each piece and press it (and roll it) against a cheese grater or fork. This gives it a nice design & texture.

Drop the gnocchi gently into 4 qts. of boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes; they'll float to top. Drain and top with desired sauce.

Dorothy
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I have made potato soup out of leftover mashed potatoes before -- add some plain yogurt (in lieu of sour cream), milk or broth or water, cheese and chives or any other seasoning that you want. You can also use them to make a yeast bread calling for potatoes -- adjust the butter and salt.

Usually eat them for breakfast the next morning.
    Michele

Garnett had long known. . . that God's world and the better part of daily life were full of mysteries known only to women.
    --from "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver

try making potato bread. It's my family's favorite, goes great with soups and stews, and it makes a great sandwich. If you need a recipie let me know I think I can go scare it up.
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

My late brother-in-law used to make mashed-potato candy, though I have no idea how he did it.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

I've used mashed potatoes as a crust for a quiche like meal. I used the mashed potatoes as the crust instead of a pastry crust. I then filled it with whatever veggies I had on hand, cheese, spices and an egg/milk mixture.

You could make knishes.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Knishes -- even better with

Mashed sweet potatoes.

I know I just changed the topic of the thread. Sorry, but s p knishes are sooo good.

Suz

DmOrtega Guest
    Tacos. All leftovers are fair game for tacos. I mix cooked ground beef, turkey, chicken, or sometimes sausage with mashed potatoes. I also like steamed broccoli with a little butter, salt and pepper with mashed potatoes in tacos.

This is a wonderful recipe I got from the bb.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Colcannon

Recipe By :Jane Brody's Good Food Book
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Potatoes & Rice Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 lb red potatoes or yukon gold potato -- unpeeled
    4 cups shredded green cabbage
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 ounces cheddar or other hard cheese -- grated
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.

Drain,reserving the liquid,and set them aside to cool Using the reserved potato water, boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes- Drain and set aside.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle,peel and mash with milk,butter,and salt and pepper,to taste.

Add the reserved onion and cabbage mixture.

Mix 2/3 of the cheese with the potatoes and transfer to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.

Heat in a moderately hot oven and let cheese on top brown slightly.

Source:
    "bobmark226"
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com