Community Message Boards

Thread: can you freeze cooked homemade salsa?

can you freeze cooked homemade salsa?

weird question.

i bought a ton of tomatoes in the 'near the verge' bin at the supermarket last week and then we had red peppers from costco and fresh little peppers from the farmer's market today. we threw them all in a pot and made homemade (cooked) salsa with garlic (husband can't eat onions - they make him sick). we will have a TON though.

can i freeze some or should i pack it up and give it to neighbours? there is no way we can eat all of this. has anyone tried this? i've never even thought about freezing salsa until today. i've bought guacamole frozen and it was fine.

thanks!
    cat

I used to buy a wonderful salsa from a local mexican restaurant by the gallon (It was that good ). I would just separate the salsa into glass jars and freeze most of it. The flavor was always the same de-frosted.

thanks!

thank you. this is REALLY good to know.

although DH is standing over the stove with chips in hand. i'm not sure that i'll need to freeze any after all. it's not even back to room temperature.

In my experience it breaks down and gets really watery.

Using sealed jars instead of gladware will take care of the watery problem. I have that problem with frozen soup, if I just freeze it in gladware it tastes funny cold...but as soon as the soup is heated the wateriness is taken care of.

By the way, the salsa I would buy was so good because it was supposed to be served warm. Maybe that is why I never experienced watery salsa.

salsa versus pico de gallo...

yeah, some of the salsa recipes i saw were cooked and others were just cut up stuff that sat together in the fridge. i made cooked stuff. well, we'll see. this is definitely an interesting experiment.

A really good pico de gallo is one of the best tastes to me, I usually eat it by itself with a really big spoon I guess how I'm feeling at the moment decides if I want cold or hot because they are totally different flavors.

I don't think freezing pico would work because of the tomatoes, but I've never tried so what do I know

I have always had better luck by canning into 1 pint jars plus with everything else in my freezer I don't have the room
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

I froze it befroe I learned to can. It will taste good, but it might be watery. You can take some of the water off the top or heat it, but you might want to learn how to can it too. I've posted my canned picante sauce recipe, so you should be able to search for it if you're interested in trying. I wouldn't use a recipe that wasn't intended to be canned until you know more about what will work and what will keep it safe.

You're right, pico de gallo will not freeze well. The tomotoes will break down and you will have watery mush.