Community Message Boards

Thread: Do they make dairy-free half and half???

Do they make dairy-free half and half???

I'd like to make a CL's sweet potato casserole for a bunch of lactose-intolerant guests.
    Do they make dairy free half and half???
    Thanks!
    -Amy-

They make a liquid non-dairy creamer (Coffeemate if I remember correctly). It has other ingredients so you'd have to adjust for any sweeteners the recipe calls for but I've never seen anything else that would come close...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I know "Land-of-lakes" makes a fat-free 1/2&1/2 but I don't know if there is a non-dairy one. but with the flood of non-dairy creamers, it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary to be able to find one. But I also know that manufactured products like fat free 1/2&1/2 doesn't always cook properly so check your recipies, and try them ahead of time so there are no suprises
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

Look with the soy-based nondairy products. I'm sure that you will find something. I know that Silk makes a cream alternative.

Nothing new to add, just wanted to tag onto this thread to see what information others can provide. I'm lactose-intolerant, and I always just use soy milk whenever half-and-half is called for (if I feel it will come out okay). I'm sure a non-dairy version would be better, though.

Kari

Silk makes a soy coffee creamer that I really like (and I am very picky about my coffee). It's Core, for us WW'ers.

Angela

Thanks for the replies.
    Well, my Kroger has a terrible selection. I ended up buying Lactaid Whole Milk, which I think will be fine for my purposes.
    I have used the Silk Cream before, though I don't specifically remember seeing half-and-half.
    I'd imagine, however, that I'll continue to use Silk/Lactaid liquid products before the dry creamers. I'd just worry about the taste and texture. Any experience subbing these dry alternatives?
    -Amy-

Quote Originally Posted by at828
    I'd imagine, however, that I'll continue to use Silk/Lactaid liquid products before the dry creamers. I'd just worry about the taste and texture. Any experience subbing these dry alternatives?
    I think everyone was talking about the liquid non-dairy creamers, not using dry which I agree would likely mess up your texture. If your making a sweet potatoe casserole I think the plain creamer would work just fine but your lactaid milk should be fine too.

My boss who is extremely lactose intolerant (allergic to casinates) can use Mocha Mix which is a liquid creamer/milk type product. Whenever I make breakfast casseroles for office potlucks I always make a dairy free one for her and use it in place of milk.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Question Healthy?

I am lactose intolerent and just read that Lactaid as of Aug. 30 has a lactose free half and half now. However, presently it is only available in upper state New York until we ask our grocery store managers to please carry it in their store. Meanwhile I would not advise the use of Coffemate creamers or powders because they are made with partially hydrogenated oils that cannot be broken down naturally by our bodies and so these types of oils clog our arteries. Palm oil with TBHQ is a new title to cover up hydrogenation. If you read labels on cereal, cake mixes, bakery and candy, you will be surprised at how unhealthy our food is.

Not only is soy-based milk best for a person who is lactose intolerant, but they also have several benefits such as people who are tying to lose weight and concern about their health turn to a soy-based milk product such as Silk.