Community Message Boards

Thread: Help - What to Serve With Chili

Help - What to Serve With Chili

We are having some of my coworkers over tonight for a casual get together. Given the snow, I thought I would make Chili and have cornbread. Any suggestions of what else I could serve with it??

Thanks!

I would serve a nice crisp salad with onion, cucumber, celery, and an apple (I think the sweetness would go well with a spicy chili). I also love to do tomato salad with chopped celery, green oinion, and cucumber and then toss that in a sweet rice wine vinigarette (sp?).

Maybe a slaw? I agree that a crisp salad probably is best. Then I would just have guacamole and chips as an appetizer - sounds great!

Yes, some kind of salad would be perfect. I would also have lots of little "extras" for people to customize their chili -- shredded cheddar or jack cheese, chopped onion (regular or scallions), sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, maybe some cubed avocado. You could also have some corn and/or black bean dish/relish either for the chili or on the salad.

Say cheeeeese!

I serve a plate of flavorful cheeses such as sharp cheddar and smoked gouda, crackers and sometimes slices of summer sausage with chili.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I like to set out a big bowl of oranges or clementines with chili. It is a nice ending for the meal, and the cool/sweet/tangy is a nice offset to the hot/spicy chili.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Well, my family would throw a fit if I didn't have saltine crackers to go with chili.

I served this salad last night with Chicken Tortilla Soup. It has a great crunch to it and a slight hint of sweetness that goes well with something spicy.

Celery Salad
    A cool, crisp salad adds crunch and contrast to any menu. You can also use dried cranberries and walnuts.

3/4 cup sliced celery
    1/3 cup dried sweet cherries
    1/3 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
    1 1/2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped pecans, toasted
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients; chill.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 160(21% from fat); FAT 3.7g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.7g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 4.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 71mg; SODIUM 332mg; FIBER 4.5g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.5g

Jean Kressy
    Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" Dave Barry