Community Message Boards

Thread: Sandra Lee's Holiday Show!

Sandra Lee's Holiday Show!

I couldn't believe it when I seen it, she is going to have a 1 hour special on tomorrow night. Its Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Holiday. Here is the description of the show:

Light the fire, grab the mistletoe and snuggle up for a sensational Semi-Homemade Holiday with Sandra Lee. Join Sandra, her family and friends for a festive hour of holiday cheer filled with delicious quick, semi-homemade recipes like Dinner Roll Wreath, Herb Crusted Prime Rib, Hannukah Meringues, and White Chocolate Dipped Cookies. The difference this holiday will be in the details: decorative delights and wonderful ways to wrap up your delicious gifts.

Hopefully its better than the Halloween show.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Just a minor point here: Why is it that other FN talk about their family and friends, and many actually do come on the show - yet SL talks about them, and so far, I've only seen her niece "Miss Stephie."
    I don't watch every single show, so in all fairness I may have missed that.

I like to watch some of her shows, and then I'll watch another time and find myself getting annoyed with her. She has some good ideas, then will come up with something that sounds just horrible! (Think: raspberries, yogurt, and vodka )

Going out tomorrow night so I'll catch the re-run of the show, and maybe reviews on this board?
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

I have seen most of her shows & you haven't missed any "family cameos"..I believe she may have made them up!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    Just a minor point here: Why is it that other FN talk about their family and friends, and many actually do come on the show - yet SL talks about them, and so far, I've only seen her niece "Miss Stephie."
    I don't watch every single show, so in all fairness I may have missed that.
    Her sister has been on, too.

Bob

Oh geez she has a christmas special???!!!!
    Her Halloween one just about sent me over the edge with her mashed up pumpkin pie and cheesecake
    This should be interesting to watch, I couldn't help tuning into the Halloween one, its like a train wreck waiting to happen!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I missed the Halloween one that had so many here howling with laughter.

I'll have to catch this. I hope it's equally, ahem, entertaining

Well, we did have the not at all staged cell phone call from her husband once...but I think it's pretty safe to say he won't be on this one since he ran screaming for the hills...

I can't wait to see what kind of kitchen/party danger she attempts this time...decorating her electrical outlets with REAL icicles and a fork? Any chance it's a live show? Now THAT would be entertaining.

I'm evil...aren't I?
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

May the comments begin....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Angel Cones

Recipe By :Sandra Lee
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Skirt:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon meringue powder
    Water -- for icing consistency
    2 drops blue food coloring -- (2 to 3)
    Blue sanding sugar -- garnish
    Hair:
    1/4 cup shredded coconut
    2 drops yellow food coloring -- (2 to 3)
    2 drops red food coloring -- (2 to 3)
    Body:
    6 ounce white chocolate bar
    6 sugar ice cream cones
    Head:
    6 tablespoons marzipan
    Food coloring pens
    Halo and wings:
    6 vanilla wafer cookies
    12 white chocolate dipped pretzels

To make the icing for the skirt, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, meringue powder and add enough water to get the desired icing consistency. Mix in 2 to 3 drops of blue food coloring. Set aside.

To make the hair, divide the coconut into 2 separate bowls and color with yellow food coloring in 1, and red in the other. Set aside.

To make the body, melt white chocolate bars in a medium bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between heating. Dip cones in melted white chocolate. Holding onto the tip of the cone, dip larger end into the blue royal icing, then dust with sanding sugar. Place cones in refrigerator on foil lined baking sheet until white chocolate has set.

While cones are setting, make angels' heads by rolling 1 tablespoon of marzipan into a ball. Set aside.

Remove cones from refrigerator. Gently push heads onto the tips of the cones. Using the remaining melted white chocolate, attach the coconut hair, vanilla wafer halo and the pretzel wings. Carefully draw on faces using food coloring pens.

Source:
    "Show: Food Network Specials Episode: Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Holiday Episode SHSP02"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32515,00.html"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1237 Calories; 22g Fat (15.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 255g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 321mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Fat; 17 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 35 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 minute
    Yield: 6 angel cones

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Candy Tree

Categories :

Beaded tree form
    Colored swirly lollipops
    Dots candies
    Candy necklaces and bracelets
    Ribbons

Decorate beaded tree form with candy and ribbons.

Source:
    "Show: Food Network Specials Episode: Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Holiday Episode SHSP02"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32512,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Yield: 1 candy tree

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

Dinner Roll Wreath

Categories :

1 bag yeast rolls -- frozen dough
    3 tablespoons butter -- melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons ranch-style dressing mix
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (thyme -- rosemary, parsley)
    Fresh herbs -- for garnish

Remove 12 frozen roll dough balls from bag. Use a nonstick spray on a baking sheet and arrange the yeast rolls; approximately 1/4-inch apart, to form a ring Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and set in a warm spot in the kitchen to thaw and rise until doubled in size, about 1 to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine melted butter and ranch dressing mix. Brush tops and sides of rolls with butter mixture. Sprinkle rolls with finely chopped herbs. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

Serve on cake stand, garnished with fresh herbs.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32507,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 325 Calories; 34g Fat (94.5% calories from fat); trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 93mg Cholesterol; 885mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 7 Fat.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    Yield: 12 rolls

Hanukkah Meringues

Categories :

2 drops blue food coloring -- (2 to 3)
    1 container white frosting -- (16 ounce)
    10 ounces mini meringue cookies
    Blue sanding sugar
    White sanding sugar
    Blue Jordan almonds -- optional for garnish
    Silver Jordan almonds -- optional for garnish

Add blue food coloring to frosting. Spread frosting onto the bottom of a meringue cookie and sandwich together with another cookie. Sprinkle blue sanding sugar on the cookie, so it sticks to the frosting. Using the food coloring, paint blue stripes on the cookies. Be creative with your design. While stripes are still wet, sprinkle cookie with white sanding sugar. Place on wire rack or plate to firm up. Repeat until all cookies are done.

Serve cookies displayed in a glass bowl or vase, alone or mixed with blue and/or silver Jordan almonds.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32511,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 26 Calories; 1g Fat (35.1% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 6mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Yield: about 65 cookies

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Macaroon Tree

Categories :

24 ounce white chocolate bar
    9 inch Styrofoam cone
    Aluminum foil
    3 (10-ounce) packages macaroon cookies
    White sanding sugar
    Red hot candies
    4 inch red ramekin
    8 inch cake round
    1 Small star ornament or cookie -- optional garnish

Melt white chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave. Wrap Styrofoam cone with aluminum foil. Working on a foil lined baking sheet, attach macaroons to the cone using the melted white chocolate. Once all macaroons are attached, drizzle the tree with melted white chocolate. Sprinkle with white sanding sugar and decorate with red hot candies. Place tree in refrigerator to set.

Place tree in on a red ramekin in center of the round. Decorate round with white sugar. Add star cookie or ornament on top, optional. Place in refrigerator to set.

Once set, remove from refrigerator and place tree on stand.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32514,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4125 Calories; 219g Fat (48.6% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 494g Carbohydrate; 55g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2198mg Sodium. Exchanges: 44 Fat; 33 Other Carbohydrates.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
    Cook Time: 1 minute
    Yield: 1 tree

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Sandra's Eggnog

Categories :

2 containers store bought eggnog -- (1-quart)
    2 cups dark rum
    2 cups white chocolate liqueur
    Pumpkin pie spice -- garnish

In a punch bowl, combine eggnog, dark rum and white chocolate liqueur. Stir and dust with pumpkin pie spice.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32516,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1027 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 4mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Prep Time: 3 minutes
    Yield: 12 cups

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

Smoked Salmon Cheese Mold

Categories :

16 ounces smoked salmon cream cheese -- softened
    2 ounces pimiento
    2 tablespoons grated onion
    1 cup ground almonds
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup fresh dill -- stems removed

Combine cream cheese, pimientos, onions and almonds. Spoon mixture onto parchment paper, wrap and place in a bowl to form a mold. Chill for 4 to 6 hours. Once chilled, remove from mold, unwrap and place on serving plate.

Spread evenly with sour cream and garnish sprinkled with dill. Serve mold on a platter or cheese board with assorted crackers.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32509,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1034 Calories; 91g Fat (72.8% calories from fat); 41g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 86mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 15 1/2 Fat.

Inactive Prep Time: 4 hours
    Yield: 3 1/2 cups

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

Snow Flakes and Peace Doves Cut-Out Cookies

Categories :

1 (17.5 ounce) package dry sugar cookie mix
    4 ounces cream cheese -- softened
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavoring
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    Royal Icing:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    Water -- for icing consistency

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cookie mix with the cream cheese until crumbly. Mix in the eggs and flavoring until well combined. Add enough flour to make a firm dough that can be rolled out. Roll dough out on lightly floured board to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out snow flakes, doves, or other desired shapes.

Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.

While the cookies are baking, make the icing by combining powdered sugar and meringue powder. Add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until it reaches desired consistency.

Decorate cookies with royal icing. Allow to dry for 1 hour.

Cook's Note: To make the cookies into ornaments, use a toothpick or chopstick to form a hole in the dough at the top of the design before baking. Make the hole large enough to be sure it doesn't close up during baking. Remember to clear the hole before icing hardens.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32513,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1466 Calories; 51g Fat (31.2% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 219g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 548mg Cholesterol; 479mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 8 Fat; 8 Other Carbohydrates.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
    Cook Time: 8 minutes
    Yield: 10 to 12 cookies

White Chocolate Dipped Cookies with Peppermint Drizzle

Categories :

2 (14-ounce) boxes white fudge covered cookies
    2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons red food coloring
    1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Arrange cookies on wire baking rack that has been placed on top of a parchment lined baking sheet. Leave some space between cookies. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together powdered sugar and meringue powder. Add red food coloring and peppermint extract. Stir until combined. Spoon or pour red icing into a zip-top bag. Press out air and close. Snip off a small corner of bag.

Drizzle icing back and forth over the tops of the cookies. Allow to dry for 1 to 2 hours or until icing has hardened.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32510,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 939 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 239g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 16 Other Carbohydrates.

Inactive Prep Time: 2 hours
    Yield: 40 cookies

White Hot Chocolate

Categories :

1 cup white chocolate chips
    1 cup heavy cream
    4 cups half-and-half
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
    Vanilla whipped topping -- for garnish
    Candy cane -- crushed or whole, for garnish
    Peppermint liqueur -- optional
    White chocolate liqueur -- optional

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine white chocolate chips and heavy cream. Stir continuously until white chocolate chips have completely melted. Stir in the half-and-half, vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Stir occasionally until heated through.

Pour into mugs and top with a dollop of vanilla whipped topping and a candy cane.

Cook's Note: For a tasty adult drink, add desired amounts of peppermint and white chocolate liqueurs.

Source:
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32508,00.html"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2114 Calories; 152g Fat (66.4% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 152g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 326mg Cholesterol; 409mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 29 Fat; 9 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Prep Time: 2 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings

"Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I love it: "Cook's Note: For a tasty adult drink, add desired amounts of peppermint and white chocolate liqueurs. "

For SL that would be half a bottle of each, then invite the kids over for a pool party!
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

The cone angels looked cute on the commercial. I will have to watch and see them made and hear her comments.

She DOES really have a family!

Watched her special - well, listened to it & looked at it occasionally. Her husband is a cutie who looks younger than she. I thought he would be an old sugardaddy type. She wore only one outfit - must've heard the comments about the Halloween show. Some of the craft things were kinda cute. Guess she wants to be the next MS - ain't gonna happen. Sorry, Bob. Kinda catty, huh?
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Crap, when are the re-runs, I didn't catch her soon-to-be-ex-husband. All I saw were her sisters' husbands and her brother. Her sisters' hubbies were cute.
    The voice-overs on this show cause me physical pain. And is it just me or did every recipe involve white chocolate? I hate white chocolate

Her brother, Rich, is our mailman. He is a very nice person as well as a very nice looking guy. He actually delivered the mail to our door to let us know the show was on tonight and that he'd be appearing.

Linda ~

Here is when you can catch it again

December 09, 2005 10:00 AM ET/PT
    December 10, 2005 4:00 PM ET/PT
    December 11, 2005 5:00 PM ET/PT
    December 15, 2005 9:00 PM ET/PT
    December 16, 2005 1:00 AM ET/PT
    December 16, 2005 5:00 PM ET/PT
    December 18, 2005 11:00 AM ET/PT
    This coming Friday in the morning and Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon.

Hey,,I think Sandra Lee's show is fun. The title tells us not to expect "from scratch" cooking...so all her store bought premade ingredients should be expected. Personally,,I prefer a more hands on whole foods approach to cooking over ready-made (usually packed with unhealthy ingredients) but i also appreciate that others love the shortcuts that give a somewhat home-made feel over a "microwave a frozen dinner and slap it on the table". And sometimes an item or two that can be made quickly, allows for precious time to make everything else from scratch. Do people just bum out that she's a pretty woman who seems excited about her ideas? That would be too bad. I wish her the best in her personal life and hope she enjoys all the money she's earning on her books,etc that prove alot of people think she's got something of value to say. Cheers!

Au contrare!

Quote Originally Posted by spudugan
    Hey,,I think Sandra Lee's show is fun. The title tells us not to expect "from scratch" cooking...so all her store bought premade ingredients should be expected. Personally,,I prefer a more hands on whole foods approach to cooking over ready-made (usually packed with unhealthy ingredients) but i also appreciate that others love the shortcuts that give a somewhat home-made feel over a "microwave a frozen dinner and slap it on the table". And sometimes an item or two that can be made quickly, allows for precious time to make everything else from scratch. Do people just bum out that she's a pretty woman who seems excited about her ideas? That would be too bad. I wish her the best in her personal life and hope she enjoys all the money she's earning on her books,etc that prove alot of people think she's got something of value to say. Cheers!
    My problem with Sandra is not the fact that she's attractive, it's her phony perkiness and the fact that everything she does is "the best". I get the feeling that behind the scenes she'd bite the head off anyone who crossed her. I prefer "real women" like Ida. I'm sure the Food Network is trying to appeal to a male audience by showing cleavage - Giada too - but in the kitchen? Come on!
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

oh i just watched this show...

i didn't think it was to bad except for the White Chocolate Dipped Cookies with Peppermint Drizzle cookie part. on the show she said to get the drizzle red add practically the whole bottle of food coloring

then the white chocolate cocoa... wasn't made loke the recipe said..... she did the white chocolate and 1 cup cream on the stove then added 4 cups of half and half and said let cool. i am thinking 1 hot cup of cream and 4 cups of half and half it is COLD

i liked the candy tree for kids and the kitchen windows where pretty
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

The smoked salmon mold she made wasn't looking too bad until she covered it with the sour cream like frosting--Ick! Then she chopped up all that dill and sprinkled it over--looked like lawn clippings. Then took the mold, now all covered in green and set it down on a platter filled with greens--salmon mold?I don't see any salmon mold.

I also object to the way she gives her recipes--like a mother talking to a little child. "Now I want you to....." "Now you're going to....." And also how every thing is just "regular old"--"regular old" blah blah that you can get right in your regular grocery store". Its's very condescending. She'll say that about some ordinary ingredient that almost anyone would know and then slip in some "exotic" type ingredient like it was nothing.

She does make some nice stuff occassionally, but over all she's very annoying.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a cola in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOOOO HOOOOOO, what a ride!"