Community Message Boards

Thread: Where to find Dutch process cocoa?

Where to find Dutch process cocoa?

Is this area weird? I've looked in several grocery stores over the past couple of weeks and I can't find Dutch process cocoa. Where do you usually find that? I'm in Atlanta, BTW, in case someone knows where to buy it in this area.

Certainly Atlanta stores should carry Dutch Process - even I can find it here in IN where we can't find anything!

If you don't have any luck, you can always order from Penzeys.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso
    Certainly Atlanta stores should carry Dutch Process - even I can find it here in IN where we can't find anything!

If you don't have any luck, you can always order from Penzeys.

Well, I thought it should be easy enough to find around here. Maybe I'm seeing it and not recognizing it. LOL!! It should say Dutch process cocoa on the label shouldn't it? Is there a particular brand that is common?

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine
    Well, I thought it should be easy enough to find around here. Maybe I'm seeing it and not recognizing it. LOL!! It should say Dutch process cocoa on the label shouldn't it? Is there a particular brand that is common?
    Hershey's "European Style" is pretty common, though I know they don't sell it everywhere.

I have trouble finding it here, too. I have also seen them sell it near the hot cocoa instead of in the baking aisle (dumb, I know). another brand to look for is Droste in a red box, but it is expensive.

I read that they were discontinuing the Hershey's European. I've found Droste at Cost Plus World Market and it's quite a bit cheaper than at the grocery store.

TJ has it sometimes.

The most common brand I see around is Droste with two Dutch children on it -- although it's been so long that maybe the logo has been updated.

FWIW, I made cocoa brownies last night so I was going through my cocoa recipes and here is one from Gourmet (which I didn't use so I wanted to make Alton's) but if you see the notes at the bottom, they say use you can either depending on what taste you are going for. I had assumed based on what I read that it was critical to use the type of cocoa specified but maybe one can live a little dangerously.

Best Cocoa Brownies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
    Serving Size: 0

Ingredients:

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 cold large eggs
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup walnut or pecan pieces (optional)

Directions:

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325F. Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot.

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Stir in the nuts, if using. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.

Notes:

Any unsweetened natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder works well here. Natural cocoa produces brownies with more flavor complexity and lots of tart, fruity notes. I think it's more exciting. Dutch-process cocoa results in a darker brownie with a mellower, old-fashioned chocolate pudding flavor, pleasantly reminiscent of childhood.

From Gary
    BitterSweet
    November 2003
    Artisan by Alice Medrich

-------------------------------------------------
    Sent to you using MacGourmet
    http://www.macgourmet.com

I bought Dutch process cocoa at Williams-Sonoma--but not recently, so I don't know if they still carry it.

Shar

I don't live in a big town and can find Hershey's Dutch Process at my store.
    It has been a while since I have been in one but if you have a Kroger there they might have it, I think I remember seeing it there too.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by nowimcooking
    I read that they were discontinuing the Hershey's European. I've found Droste at Cost Plus World Market and it's quite a bit cheaper than at the grocery store.

You are right. What I was thinking of was the Hershey's Dark. It is Dutch Process. But yes, they are phasing out that European.

I had to go to Harry's (aka Whole Foods) to find it here. None of the stores in West Cobb had any. I'm pretty sure I have the Droste brand. I was surprised that it was the only brand of Dutch Process Cocoa that Penzey's carried.

For the record, I went to Harry's in Marietta.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I get hershey locally( in the silver box) but I usually buy from king arthur. It's a european cocoa, really chocolately and quite a bit cheaper, a good deal if you use it regularly.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Ghiardhelli sells dutch process cocoa. Dutch process has be alkalized, so you can look at the ingredients to tell if the front lable doesn't say "dutch process".

This site shows a few brands and tells how to substitute regular cocoa for dutch processed. I've seen Ghiardhelli in some really small stores, it just doesn't isn't very clear that it is dutch process.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/cocoa.html
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Found the Hershey's Dutch Process at Kroger tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine
    Found the Hershey's Dutch Process at Kroger tonight.
    Hope you have fun experimenting. There's a big difference in the taste of Dutch vs. Natural.

Quote Originally Posted by annagins
    Hope you have fun experimenting. There's a big difference in the taste of Dutch vs. Natural.
    I can see. I just made one of the Martha Stewart cookies that called for it. I like it.

I saw Hershey's Dutch processed cocoa in the special holiday-baking aisle at Publix!!!! If we have it in Greenville, you probably have it at a Publix in Atlanta.

Way off topic: I've noticed that our Publix is just now starting to sell some of the hard-to-find items that I've had to buy out of town (or order on-line) in the past two or three years. The same day I noticed the cocoa, I saw they were selling fingerling potatoes! Wow! Have we arrived or what!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melman
    I saw Hershey's Dutch processed cocoa in the special holiday-baking aisle at Publix!!!! If we have it in Greenville, you probably have it at a Publix in Atlanta.

Way off topic: I've noticed that our Publix is just now starting to sell some of the hard-to-find items that I've had to buy out of town (or order on-line) in the past two or three years. The same day I noticed the cocoa, I saw they were selling fingerling potatoes! Wow! Have we arrived or what!!!
    I don't think my Publix has it. I've looked several times. In fact, I've been kind of disappointed with my Publix this season. They didn't get cinnamon chips either and acted like they didn't want to special order them either. They've always been great about that. I haven't noticed the fingerling potatoes either.

Maybe it depends on the store manager. I have four different Publix stores easily accessible from my normal paths. The one I shop at the most is the largest. Since I'm usually just picking up an item or two when I go to the other stores, I haven't noticed any of the newer specialty-type items.

I have been told by Publix employees that if one Publix has an item, you should be able to get the same product at ANY Publix store. They've been pretty decent at my special requests....not 100%, but not bad. [I'm still trying to track down ANY store on the entire east coast that can/will stock Celestial Seasonings Metabo-Partner tea. I stumbled across it at Harry's in Alpharetta a few years back and haven't seen it again since that time. I can only get it by ordering it on-line....making it about $5-6 a box after I add shipping! Not good.)

Droste Cocoa

I pulled my box out of the pantry. It's red, a small picture depicts two dutch children, Droste is written in yellow, imported from Holland, COCOA for drinking and baking. If you take great care with storing, the 8.8 oz package will last a long time. I save mine for special occasion baking. The taste is outstanding and definitely worth the price.