Community Message Boards

Thread: How to get vomit smell out of clothing?

Question How to get vomit smell out of clothing?

Sorry about the disgusting title......

Saturday night my youngest yakked all over me, multiple times. Of course we were at a party so I was wearing one of my favorite sweaters. I threw our clothing into the wash within an hour of the episode but my sweater still has a bit of "the smell".

Does anyone have any tried and true methods for getting that nasty smell out of clothing? My sweater is the only thing that doesn't smell. Perhaps because I let it air dry? My pants and DS's clothing don't smell at all.

TIA

Shelley
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Why is always our favorite clothing?
    I'd suggest just washing it again.

Be grateful you weren't in your car when it happened. Sooooo much harder to clean! But I agree, just keep washing.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd soak it in OxyClean for awhile. OxyClean is most effective at eating away organic matter-like vomit! I think it will totally get the smell out.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Lightbulb Borax.....

I use 20 Mule Team Borax with the laundry detergent when I have a strong odor in the clothes.
    Give it a try.
    Last edited by Hammster; 12-06-2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fix spelling

You could also spray it with FeBreeze and see if that helps.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Febreeze now has a product for the laundry, try that double strength, or try using baking soda in the water, I would use the whole box. Just add either in with your regular laundry detergent.

All of the above as well as Petzyme or Nature's Miracle -- or the same type of enzyme stuff sold for baby messes. Sometimes one works better with certain fibers or yuk smells than others. Good luck. Hope he's feeling better.

Don't laugh - dish detergent - hand wash it with dish detergent - someone recommended this to me for getting spit up out of literally EVERY item of clothing we owned. DS had a milk intolerance as an infant - and this worked. I have used it on his clothing since he started eating food food too - and it seems to work.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I will probably try the dish detergent first since I have that on hand. However, it's nice to have more than one option if something doesn't work.

Thanks again!!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

If the dish detergent doesn't work, give 1/2 cup white vinegar a try. Rinse well and it should remove any lingering smell and soften the sweater as well.

There's a product called "Totally Toddler" It's made just for that sort of thing. It's a pre-treater. spray it on before washing
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

If the dish detergent doesn't work, give 1/2 cup white vinegar a try. Rinse well and it should remove any lingering smell and soften the sweater as well.
    Yep, what she said! I am big on vinegar.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by bensdad
    There's a product called "Totally Toddler" It's made just for that sort of thing. It's a pre-treater. spray it on before washing
    Uk. No wonder I don't have toddlers.

I have pet smell removers instead.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Well, put all these clothes outside for 1-2 days. The smell should disappear!
    Chat with me on person.com