Community Message Boards

Thread: how long do you keep rice in the fridge?

how long do you keep rice in the fridge?

How long does cooked white rice stay good in the fridge or how long until you don't eat it at least?

I keep cooked rice for about 5 days, stored in a plastic zip-top bag so it lies flat.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

hmmm...so a tupperware container doesn't keep it good as long as a ziploc bag? What does keeping it flat do? I'm guessing less mold/bacteria growth?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    hmmm...so a tupperware container doesn't keep it good as long as a ziploc bag? What does keeping it flat do? I'm guessing less mold/bacteria growth?

thanks!
    Takes up less space in the refrigerator

I've been working on some brown rice for about a week now. I'm still feeling okay and it doesn't look off to me
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

When I refrigerate leftover rice, it always gets really hard and dry...what am I doing wrong?

Angela

Often, I deliberately cook more rice than I need for a recipe. I spoon the extra (or leftovers) into zip-loc bags and toss them into the freezer. When you need to use it - boil a pan of water, add the zip-loc bag and let stand until the rice is thawed and hot. The bag won't melt, even if in boiling water 15 minutes or longer.

If left TOO long in the refrigerator the rice will "sour", and/or grow mold. Neither is cool!

I actually put extra rice up in the freezer - then on nights when I make fried rice, I just pull it out and thaw it in the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    When I refrigerate leftover rice, it always gets really hard and dry...what am I doing wrong?

Angela
    When you reheat it doesn't correct? I have some in the refrigerator right now and if I just open the container it stir it up it does seem kind of hard and dry. But, nuke it a few minutes and it's fine.

I usually add a little water to the rice before reheating it to give back a little of the moisture.

Do you make your rice in a rice cooker? In my experience, rice cooker rice does not reheat as well as rice made on the stove. Don't know why. If I have leftover rice cooker rice, I usually use it for fried rice.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by lex

thanks!

I use bags for a couple of reason (besides the bacteria factor). As Tyra mentioned it takes up less space in the fridge and if I don't use it I just throw the bag away...one less thing to wash!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine
    When you reheat it doesn't correct? I have some in the refrigerator right now and if I just open the container it stir it up it does seem kind of hard and dry. But, nuke it a few minutes and it's fine.
    Hmm...I just think it's bad and hard, and I don't even try reheating it. I guess I will give it a try!

And I make it on the stove, not in a rice cooker. I got rid of mine.

Angela