Community Message Boards

Thread: Cheesecake water bath help

Cheesecake water bath help

I've made cheesecake a few times before but the recipe I came across today said to do the water bath in the oven. Well, as my luck would have it, it appears that water may have gotten through my foil. Think I'm safe? I'm worried I will have a soggy crust tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghann
    I've made cheesecake a few times before but the recipe I came across today said to do the water bath in the oven. Well, as my luck would have it, it appears that water may have gotten through my foil. Think I'm safe? I'm worried I will have a soggy crust tomorrow night.
    I hate to say it, but if water did get through your foil there is a good chance that water got to the crust. I've used the "leakproof" pans before and they still leak or let water in.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

should i throw it away then and start over tomorrow?

Ban the bath!

I'd cool the cake to room temp. & try to carefully release the springform ring to see if it looks soggy. Hopefully it's fine. It's too late to help with this cheesecake, but I've never used a water bath. I've found that if your cream cheese & eggs are at room temp. & you don't overbeat your batter, or overbake, there's a good chance the cake won't crack. Even if it does, it usually closes when it cools, or you get creative with a topping.
    Last edited by dorothyntototoo; 12-17-2005 at 08:56 PM. Reason: edit
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

In the future, wrap with double layers of OVEN STRENGTH tin foil (makes a huge difference in springing a leak). I don't use the oven stuff for everything but it is definitely stronger than regular.

As for the cheesecake, the leak is probably slight and most people won't even notice -- as a rule cheesecake crust is slightly soggy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghann
    should i throw it away then and start over tomorrow?
    I would not throw it out at all - I'm sure it is still very tasty!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I've had this problem too, and a friend recommended putting a 9x13" pan filled halfway with warm water on the bottom rack of my oven before I preheat it instead of actually putting the cheesecake in water. I tried it and my cheesecakes never crack using this method, and there's no foil wrapping to worry about. Hope this helps!

Sure wish I had seen this post before Christmas....my cheesecake called for a waterbath also. I double wrapped it and it still got soggy. The filling was fine the the crust was gross. Will never use a water bath again!

I also put a pan of water, on the next rack down, in the oven as I preheat. It does help. Also remove the cheesecake while the center is still a little loose. It continues to cook,due to the internal heat, but won't over-cook and crack that way. Good luck!

I've always used a double layer of heavy-duty foil to wrap my cheesecakes and have never had a problem (knock on wood!). Have those of you with leaky foil used heavy duty?

Quote Originally Posted by PamN
    I've always used a double layer of heavy-duty foil to wrap my cheesecakes and have never had a problem (knock on wood!). Have those of you with leaky foil used heavy duty?
    I'm with PamN as there is a tremendous difference in quality between tinfoil.

The "thin" stuff gets holes even when I try to use it for something simple like lining the bottom of a brownie pan so I would assume that it would spring leaks when used for cheesecake.

I've never had a problem with the Reynolds oven wrap.

I am generally not a "brand" name person for something like tin foil but discovered that there was a difference in quality even between regular Reynolds and the store brand.