Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with left over roast beef?

What to do with left over roast beef?

We had Christmas dinner number one last night and my mom got enough roast beef for an army (and only a small troop showed up). I've got tons of very rare garlic stuffed roast beef left over. Anyone have any ideas for the leftovers - we have enough for at least 3 meals.

TIA!

Shadowlady

This is good comfort food for a cold winter's night:

Unbelievable Beef Barley Soup

1 pound cooked london broil, diced
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 cup carrots, sliced
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, fat removed
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup quick cooking barley
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 envelope (1.4 ounces) demi-glace or au jus mix

Heat the oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the meat onion and carrots, stirring from time to time.

Coarsely chop the mushrooms, adding them to the pot as you chop. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add broth, water and barley. Cover the pot and begin bringing the broth to a boil. Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce and thyme, keeping the pot covered as much as possible.

When the soup comes to a rolling boil, keep it from boiling over by reducing the heat to medium or cracking the pot lid. Add the au jus and stir until it dissolves. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the barley is tender.

Serves 6.
    Wag more...bark less...

Roast beef sandwiches, Cold with lettuce, mayo, mustard, red onions, on a sandwich roll, or hot served opened faced w/mashed potatoes, and gravy YUM
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

We like hot roast beef sandwiches on garlic bread with melted mozzarella cheese (or Swiss) on top. Mmm-mmm good!
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

I love using leftover beef for stir-fry -- beef and broccoli is one of our favorites. You could also make stroganoff.

In either case, just add the beef towards the end of the cooking time.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

French dip sandwiches

French dip - Baguette with the sliced beef and horseradish sauce & au jus or beef broth for dipping.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Shepherd's Pie is another simple way to use up the mashed potatoes, too! Toss sliced onions onto cubed or sliced beef, (add mushrooms or other veggies if you like) cover with gravy, top with taters & bake 45 mins. to an hour til done.

Or Beef Pot Pie, basically the same, but add onions-peas-carrots-potatoes to beef & gravy...simplify by using frozen pie crust or canned biscuits for the top, bake til browned about an hour.

Gee, I wish I had that leftover roast beef problem!

Burrito filling...........

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlady
    We had Christmas dinner number one last night and my mom got enough roast beef for an army (and only a small troop showed up). I've got tons of very rare garlic stuffed roast beef left over. Anyone have any ideas for the leftovers - we have enough for at least 3 meals.

TIA!

Shadowlady
    Shred some up and mix with a can of refried beans (or homemade if you have the time), cumin and oregano and a can of diced ortega chiles (or fresh chopped if you like). Heat in skillet or microwave until heated through. Awesome burrito filling.

Very rare cooked roast beef is excellent when used in recipes for beef stroganoff.

This is sort of a stuffed roll. It may be made with leftover or canned gravy, and leftover or boxed stuffing. Prepare stuffing. Wrap thinly sliced roast beef around little rolls of stuffing. Cover with gravy (to keep moist). Place in a 350 degree (or thereabouts) oven until heated through. I like this one well enough that I have been known to buy deli sliced roast beef to make it. Because it is so simple, I use it in our RV also.

Roast beef can also be successfully frozen for future use. Ideas: sliced with leftover (or canned) gravy, casseroles, skillets. I freeze it in quantities for one meal.

If the roast contained bones, they will make great stock/broth. Here's how I do it. Once much of the meat is off the bones, roast the bones and remaining meat for a few minutes to brown. Put the beef bones in a large pot and add onions, garlic, celery, parsley and peppercorns. Other herbs may be added as desired. Simmer in water for 3 - 4 hours. Strain and cool. Remove fat and pour stock into ice cube trays and freeze. Remove and store in a Ziploc bag in the freezer to use in dishes needing broth.

Good luck!

Kay

I would cut it up in small pieces and put it in my crock pot with a can of green chilis and some diced potatos... cook on low for about 5 hours then eat it with tortillas and salsa... yum!
    For Recipes and Tips For Eating Well On A Budget Visit My Blog ~ Chef Michele's Adventures

Hash

My mom's "peasant food" meals seem to be a hit at my house....just chop up some onions and potatoes into similar-sized dice. Brown in a little butter, add as much chopped beef as you want and a little beef broth. Cover the pan and let the potatoes cook through. Maybe 15 minutes. Viola! Serve a salad and you have dinner. (A stick-to-your-ribs dinner, I might add! )
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

And for something a little lighter, make a big salad, shaved fennel, some crumbled goat cheese. Whatever you like in your main dish salad. Cut some beef into smallish pieces, about 1/2 x 1/2 x 1". Heat a non-stick pan until very hot, add a dash of evoo and add the beef, toss until warmed thru and slightly crispy on the outside. Add to the salad, toss w/dressing and serve. If you had horshradish sauce with the beef originally, thin a little down w/water or milk, whatever you have and drizzle over the salad at service.

This is what we had last night and it was pretty good. Now what to do with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo
    French dip - Baguette with the sliced beef and horseradish sauce & au jus or beef broth for dipping.
    This is what we always had for dinner the day after Chrismas!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by krispy spo
    This is good comfort food for a cold winter's night:

Unbelievable Beef Barley Soup

1 pound cooked london broil, diced
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 cup carrots, sliced
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, fat removed
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup quick cooking barley
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 envelope (1.4 ounces) demi-glace or au jus mix

Heat the oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the meat onion and carrots, stirring from time to time.

Coarsely chop the mushrooms, adding them to the pot as you chop. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add broth, water and barley. Cover the pot and begin bringing the broth to a boil. Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce and thyme, keeping the pot covered as much as possible.

When the soup comes to a rolling boil, keep it from boiling over by reducing the heat to medium or cracking the pot lid. Add the au jus and stir until it dissolves. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the barley is tender.

Serves 6.
    Krispy,

I just made this with my left over Rib Roast from New Year's Day and it is wonderful. I hope it freezes well because it will taste good for lunches after leaving a freezing courtroom.

HAPPY NEW YEAR