Community Message Boards

Thread: How many cups= One and half pound ground beef?

Question How many cups= One and half pound ground beef?

I found ground beef in my freezer which I bought about six months ago. I'm planning to make meatloaf with it, do you think it's ok to use ground beef that old? And also, there's no way of telling how many lbs are there and I need a pound and a half for the meatloaf recipe, will somebody please tell me how many cups equals to 1 1/2 lb of ground beef?

Thanks!

I think if you go to this site you will find some kind of help, and don't youworry beef can be frozen up to 9 months so go ahead and make your meatloaf.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/conversion.htm

Always remember that old useful saying: "A pint's a pound, the world around."

A pint, and a pound, = 2 cups.

1 1/2 pounds = 3 cups.

Make a fist. That is roughly the bulk of 1 cup, or 1/2 pound.

I'll be the first to admit, that's not too precise, but in this case we're talking about meat loaf -- not brain surgery.
    Last edited by ADM; 01-25-2006 at 08:34 AM.

I disagree, I cup of flour doesn't weight the same as a cup of ground beef, I don't think that a pint always equals a pound. Anyone else have any thoughts because now I'm second guessing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    I disagree, I cup of flour doesn't weight the same as a cup of ground beef, I don't think that a pint always equals a pound. Anyone else have any thoughts because now I'm second guessing myself.
    I had the same reaction, but figured that for a chance I wouldn't be the naysayer. I was thinking of the old "is a ton of feathers the same as a ton of coal?" thing.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    You are correct! The pints a pound the world around is in reference to the weight and volume of water. (Although it works out pretty well for eggs, milk, or other things with a high concentration of water.)

However, as stated above, itís just meat loaf, so winging it shouldnít be too big a deal. If you buy a pound of hamburger and make 4 patties out of it, you pretty much know how big those patties are right, so make six patties and call that 1 Ĺ pounds. Iíve never measured ground beef in cups before, so have absolutely no idea how it compares. Maybe it works out to 3 cups, maybe it doesnít. Iíve no idea.

Go stand on your bathroom scale and weigh yourself. Now do it again holding the package. The difference is how much the ground beef weighs
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113
    Go stand on your bathroom scale and weigh yourself. Now do it again holding the package. The difference is how much the ground beef weighs

LOL!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

The 3 cups is not too far off. I cooked some ground turkey last night and only wanted to use half. I took out roughly half (maybe a little less) and it was just a cup (packed). So 1.5 pounds is probably close to 3 cups.
    Michelle

Thanks for all the replies, never crossed my mind about the weight thing.... as in flour or something heavier whatever. I don't have a scale in my bathroom so that won't work. Guess I'll just go with 3 cups and see what happens.

Thanks a lot everybody..... you are my food 911

Perhaps the answer is on this site?

How many cups in a pound of....
    Terri _A
    ‚ÄúI'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?‚ÄĚ -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113
    And you may decide to eat chicken instead!
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...