Community Message Boards

Thread: How often do you buy new comforter sets?

How often do you buy new comforter sets?

I'm ready for a change - our comforter set is 6 years old....my DH thinks I'm nuts to be replacing it - it is great condition; I'm just tired of it. So, just curious - how often do you replace your bedspread/comforter set?

If the comforter is in good shape maybe you should think about a duvet cover? I just bought a new down comforter but had one previously and I have a number of duvet covers so that I can change the look with the season and/or mood. I found my newest duvet cover at Target and am in love with it! It is a cotton/rayon blend and is so soft on my skin.

Robyn

I only replace the comforter if it shows age. Duvet covers are much less expensive and you can change as often as you want.
    Even if I didn't care about color changes, duvet covers make it easier to keep the comforter clean...we have too many cats.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I changed our duvet after 7 years. My MIL thought I had lost my mind (she's had hers for 20 years and it shows) We needed a fresh change and I figure we'd gotten our money's worth after 7 years. Plus styles and colors change after 7 years and I wanted a fresh look.

DH is in the military and we move every few years. It just seems like a good time to buy a new bedding set-new house, new bedding! This time my MIL bought us a nice Nautica duvet, before that my mom bought us a nice Calvin Klein set(I am too cheap to buy the good stuff!) that we used for 4 years and I still use the comforter with the Nautica duvet cover. We will probably be on the move again next year, so I will probably 'need' a new set.
    Karen

My set is about 9 years old. It's in excellent shape, but I've just started thinking it's about time to start looking for a new one. Then I get to the point where I realize I'll probably also have to paint the bedroom...and then the bathroom....and I put the changes on the back-burner.

Some day, I'll change it.

We have a whole bunch of different duvets. T-shirt material ones, flannel ones, heavy cotton, etc. We change them when we change the sheets (we don't sleep with a top sheet). We mostly use the flannel ones right now and switch to the lighter weight ones for the summer. I also have them in all different colors, but they all coordinate with my "color scheme", so it doesn't matter which sheets you put with which duvet - they all go.

Just tossed my last down comforter, after 10 faithful years. I also buy covers rather than an entirely new one. But the last one I had cost me over 100 bucks, so I wasn't about toreplace it every year. The new one is a cotton blend (developed allergies I'm afraid - that's why I tossed it, not age) and it is surprisingly more comfortable and warm than the old one. New technology, gotta love it!
    ~A man can't always be defending the truth;
    there must be a time to feed on it.

C.S. Lewis Reflections on the Psalms

The down comforter on our guest bed is about 10 years old. This was in our bedroom until a year ago. We bought a new larger bed, and so new comforter and cover as well. I actually liked my old pattern (Eddie Bauer "berries") so much that I bought the same pattern for the larger bed, and bought a new cover for the comforter on the old bed.

I'm considering doing what Grace does- leaving off the top sheet and just changing the duvet cover when I change the bottom sheet and pillowcases. DH and I are both "active" sleepers and the top sheet always ends up in a wad at the bottom of the bed or comes untucked anyway.

I've never thought about duvet covers! Do you just have a nuetral bedskirt and skip the shams?? I sense a trip to Linens 'N Things over lunch....plus they had a 20% off coupon in the Sunday flyer.

Depends on what I've paid for it.

My current bedding ensemble was purchased 11 years ago. It was a Croscill Williamsburg pattern and it cost a fortune. It would be expensive even by today's standards. I also bought the window treatments and coordinating wallpaper border for the bathroom.

For me to just "changed" it would involved a total redecorating project of my master bedroom. Not ready for that!! Also, I just don't see anything out there that floats my boat. And my send has held up very well.
    Christine

Some duvet sets will have the shams too (the one I got from Target does). I have always just done a solid bedskirt in a coordinating color. Like Grace I try to have similar colors going so I can switch duvets without switching out the bedskirt.

What's the difference between a duvet & comforter?? Is it just the matter of it having a replaceable cover, or is there something else?