Community Message Boards

Thread: How to get a crispy skin on baked potatoes?

How to get a crispy skin on baked potatoes?

We hadn't had baked potatoes for ages, so I threw two fork-pricked russets in the oven at 375 for an hour and 15 minutes (as prescribed by Sheila Lukins). The skins weren't very crispy - how can I fix that? Different temp? Different potato? Something else?

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

On holidays, my mom rubs the outside (skin) with Crisco or vegetable oil and sprinkles with salt before baking. It's not light, and smokes up the oven a bit, but very tasty.

This is supposedly how Outback Steakhouse cooks their potatoes.

Salt-Crusted Baked Potatoes

4 large baking potatoes, about 1/2 pound each
    1 large egg white
    1 Tbs water
    1/2 cup Sea Salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
    2. Poke potatoes all over with the tines of a fork. Beat the egg white and water together in a shallow dish until frothy. Place the sea salt in another shallow dish. Roll each potato in the egg white mixture to coat completely and then roll in the salt to coat lightly all over. Arrange the potatoes in a shallow, foil-lined baking pan.
    3. Bake the potatoes until tender when pierced with the tip of a small paring knife, about 1 hour.
    4. Slit the potatoes open, embellish with favorite toppings, and serve at once.

Yield: SERVES 4
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Stephanie,

I do 2 things, depending on how much time I have:

if I don't have much time, I'll nuke them for most of the baking, and finish off in the toaster oven at about 425 for about 15 min...gives a really crispy skin;

or, I bake them in the large oven at a lower temp, 350, and I'll finish them on 400 or 425.

I also never rub the skin with anything...

I just remembered that I do get a nice skin on the grill also...which I need to use more often

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I scrub them early in the day and let them dry completely.
    The place them in the oven directly on the oven racks so the heat can circulate around them. Nice crispy skins!

I rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA
    I rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
    Ditto, and then I bake them directly on the oven rack.