Community Message Boards

Thread: Williamsport, PA & surrounding areas?

Williamsport, PA & surrounding areas?

Good news - DH has received his first offer and it's with the company that most interests him.

The salary offer isn't mind-blowing, but it's workable and they are offering a signing bonus and a nice looking relocation package.

We will be deciding in the next week, so I'd like to gather some info in the meantime.

Anyone know about this area? Schools, shopping, desirable areas to live, anything you can think of would be very useful.

Even if this isn't the job he ends up taking, it's nice to know there's an offer on the table!!!!

TIA.

Williamsport - Home of the Little League World Series!

I don't know too much about the town, per se, but I went to college just a few miles down the road in Lewisburg, which is a wonderful little town and was listed as one of the 100 best places to live, or best small towns in America a few years back. We would roadtrip to Williamsport for restaurants or a larger hotel to hold formal dances and events, etc.

There are some colleges in the area which is always a bonus for me, because they bring in lots of lectures, arts, and other interesting things to attend.

Another attraction up there is Clyde Peeling's Reptileland!

It is in central Pennsylvania, which is probably similar to where you live now in the midwest. Certainly it would be a change for someone living in a coastal city environment. I would check out the website for the local Chamber of Commerce.

Unfortunately I can't help you with schools, but sometimes realtor.com can provide links to reports on PSSA scores (the No Child Left Behind measure for Pennsylvania) and SAT scores, etc.

Ah, Bucknell. I did a campus visit and interview with Bucknell, but ended up at Lehigh in Bethlehem, PA. I remember loving the Bucknell campus. You're right - living near college towns can be a big bonus. DH is currently an adjunct professor at our local university, so that's another might benefit us.

For those of you not familiar with my background, I am originally from the east coast (NY, MD, PA), not from the midwest, so this will actually be a move back toward friends and family and the area that I know and love.

Yes, it would be a change for a coastal person, but I'll feel like I'm actually somewhat near the coast again.

I have definitely become accustomed to rural, but if the benefits of this PA company are any indication, I'm afraid that Williamsport is even more rural than this area. People around here don't generally get the first 2 days of deer hunting season as vacation days!

Oh well, if you have lived in Pennsylvania, that's a whole 'nother story! You know the general feel of central PA, having gone to college at Lehigh I am sure.

I don't know if rural is the best description of Williamsport, but it is there is a definite difference between there and a major metropolitan city. For example, I don't know if there are resources like Wegman's or Trader Joe's or places like that in central PA. In Lewisburg people were pretty excited when they opened a Wal-Mart within driving distance.

Sorry I can't give you more details or specifics about the area. Best wishes though, fellow Patriot League-r!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum
    In Lewisburg people were pretty excited when they opened a Wal-Mart within driving distance.
    Uh-oh! That doesn't sound promising!

Even NE Indiana has exploded to the point of having a Meijer (similar to Walmart Supercenter) and a Walmart Supercenter.

I have to admit part of me was rooting for the job in Ohio that would have put us within an hour of Trader Joe's, Whole Food and Penzeys. Oh well, I'm used to doing without in that department, I suppose....