Community Message Boards

Thread: What sauce do you use when making homemade pizza?

What sauce do you use when making homemade pizza?

I will be making the EW Whole Wheat Pizza Dough and was wondering what is your favorite sauce to put on your pizza. Please list recipes or links. Thanks!!
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com

Posted by Val and possibly others, I believe this is a BA recipe.

Exquisite Pizza Sauce

6 ounces tomato paste
    6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
    3/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    salt to taste

Mix ingredients in a small bowl. Sauce should sit for 30 minutes to blend flavors.

My recipe is similar to the one above, less formally written.

1 tiny can Contadina tomato paste, preferably roasted garlic flavor

warm water as needed

pinch fennel seeds OR 1/8 tsp ground fennel

whole clove garlic, minced to bits

crushed red pepper, oregano and salt to taste

a shot or two or red wine ORr 1/2 shot sweet vermouth

tsp chopped onion if it's convenient

pinch of dried rosemary rubbed between fingers OR a tiny dash cinnamon

1-2 tsp olive oil, any type

In a four cup measuring cup or medium bowl, mix the wine/vermouth and a very little water into the tomato paste. Add all spices and seasoning and slowly add more water, whisking it in to blend. add water in minor amounts, whisking well after, till desired consistency is achieved. let sit for a few minutes, taste for seasoning and adjust, let sit for another 15 minutes or more to blend flavors. store leftovers in fridge, makes enough for 1-2 pizzas.

Add basil along with Cinnamon, if you like.

Easiest Pizza Sauce

Regular tomato sauce in a can & sprinkle with Penzy's pizza spice mix!

I use tomato paste. First, because there is less water so my crust won't get soggy. Second, because it packs more tomato (aka: nutrients) per bite. Third, because I can season as I wish and use up the whole thing with no waste.

I add salt (if buying no salt), garlic, olive oil, basil, oregano, pepper (sometimes red pepper flakes). Combine well and shmear on crust
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use a great recipe from James McNair's Pizza Cookbook. I will try to post it for you later. I have made the Exquisite Pizza Sauce as well and I prefer this one.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Val's Exquiste Pizza Sauce is a favorite in our house!!!

I like the sauce from this CL recipe...

Herbed Cheese Pizza (Lahmacun)

Dough:
    2 cups bread flour, divided
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
    2 cups warm water (100° to 110°), divided
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    Cooking spray

Topping:
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon hot paprika
    3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    10 ounce thinly sliced kasseri cheese
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

To prepare dough, lightly spoon bread flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup bread flour, sugar, yeast, and 1 cup warm water in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes.

Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup bread flour, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add yeast mixture, 1 cup warm water, and 2 teaspoons oil to flour mixture; stir well. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; divide dough into 8 equal portions. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.

To prepare topping, combine oregano, cumin, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; set aside. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic, bay leaf, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; place circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.

Top each crust with 1/4 cup tomato mixture, 1 1/4 ounces cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano mixture. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until crusts are lightly browned. Sprinkle evenly with minced parsley.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 6-inch pizza)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 434(28% from fat); FAT 13.4g (sat 6.6g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 19.7g; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 308mg; SODIUM 934mg; FIBER 4.6g; IRON 5.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 62.6g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2002

I love the Exquisite Pizza Sauce from above, but omit half the honey and add a little more garlic and red pepper (not a huge fan of sweet sauce, prefer more of a bite) and use the roasted garlic tomato paste (Contidina brand). Very, very yummy!!!

Exquisite Pizza Sauce! I also cut the honey by at least half and the red pepper for DS

I find pizza sauces to be too sweet, so I like to use pesto instead of tomato-based sauces. I just buy the Bertolli kind in a jar.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

One of my daughter's favorite thing to do is use Salsa and then add chicken, corn and mexican cheese. I have to admit it is yummy!!!

Usually olive oil and minced garlic or my favorite prepared red sauce is Chef Boyardee.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Molli526
    Exquisite Pizza Sauce! I also cut the honey by at least half and the red pepper for DS
    Ditto!!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

OK, I'll probably be banned for this......

Boboli's.....when I'm in a hurry....
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo
    I use a great recipe from James McNair's Pizza Cookbook. I will try to post it for you later. I have made the Exquisite Pizza Sauce as well and I prefer this one.
    Here is the recipe that I use. It is just a basic but very authentic pizza sauce flavor...especially good when you can buy good, fresh tomatoes. I sweeten just a bit to my taste.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pizzeria-Style Pizza Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sauces/Marinades

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds plum tomatoes or 28 oz. can high quality tomatoes packed in tomato juice or puree
    3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 Tablespoons tomato paste
    1 Tablespoon fresh oregano -- minced (or 1 tsp dried)
    salt
    crushed dried chile

If using fresh tomatoes, blanch and seed, reserving the juice from the tomatoes. Chop tomatoes coarsely and add back to juice in a bowl.

If using canned tomatoes, strain juice into a bowl and set aside. Remove all seeds from tomatoes and coarsely chop. Add tomatoes back to bowl with juice.

In a small saucepan, heat over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft, but not browned. Add the tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, oregano, salt and crushed chile to taste. Bring to a boil, then adjust heat to simmer. Simmer, uncovered and stirring frequently, until flavorful and thickened, 20-30 minutes.

Transfer sauce to a food processor and puree until fairly smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week. Bring back to room temperature before using.

Source:
    "James McNair's New Pizza"
    Yield:
    "2 cups"

NOTES : I add more garlic and about a tsp of sugar.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by swquilts
    OK, I'll probably be banned for this......

Boboli's.....when I'm in a hurry....

This tastes just fine to us. Most of the pizzas we make at home don't really call for a sauce so it's rare that I use one. When I do - Boboli's it is. I like that it comes in pouches instead of a can eliminating that tinny, canned taste.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

I don't really made a special sauce for Pizza. I use either Alyssa's sauce recipe or the sauce recipe from the Everyday Italian cookbook. I just add basil, oregano and parsley to the sauce.

Renee

I lightly brush the crust with olive oil, then sprinkle a little kosher salt, grind a little pepper, scatter some minced garlic, and spread a very thin layer of Muir Glen canned tomato sauce.

Topped with Il Villagio "gourmet mozzarella", scattered torn basil leaves, and a sprinkle of freshly grated parm, it's simple and our absolute favorite. It's our rendition of Todd English's "pizza Oliver"

Michelle