Community Message Boards

Thread: What should I do with a sirloin pork roast?

What should I do with a sirloin pork roast?

Dh came home yesterday with 4 sirloin pork roasts. He hit some kind of sale that had these roasts packed together as a "bonus buy". I don't usually do roasts. The last time he bought one I deboned it and used a tenderloin recipe, but deboning it was a royal pain.
    Any great suggestions on how to cook at least one of these?
    TIA
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

If you have a slow cooker, you could make slow cooker pork barbecue with it, which I do a lot. I would tend to sub it in any recipe that uses Boston butt, since I think pork sirloin is much less fatty than the butt. With that in mind, I'm going to try the pork char siu from the March issue tomorrow, using pork sirloin.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB
    If you have a slow cooker, you could make slow cooker pork barbecue with it, which I do a lot. I would tend to sub it in any recipe that uses Boston butt, since I think pork sirloin is much less fatty than the butt. With that in mind, I'm going to try the pork char siu from the March issue tomorrow, using pork sirloin.
    Clara, it was the char siu recipe that I used the last pork sirloin roast in. I deboned it first, though.
    Last night, I ended up making the Roast Pork Sandwiches Au Jus with Rosemary (CL Aug 2004). It was very good. But, instead of roasting for 10 minutes it took 1 hour and 20 minutes. We ended up cutting it off the bone after the first hour because it would have taken forever otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion of using it in place of Boston Butt. I'll do a search for those recipes.

Before I left this morning, I put a pork loin roast in the crock pot using a Thai recipe from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker". You add sliced bell peppers, minced garlic, teryiaki sauce, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes. After the meat is cooked, stir in peanut butter to make the sauce. We are having it with rice and sugar snap peas.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolatePam
    Before I left this morning, I put a pork loin roast in the crock pot using a Thai recipe from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker". You add sliced bell peppers, minced garlic, teryiaki sauce, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes. After the meat is cooked, stir in peanut butter to make the sauce. We are having it with rice and sugar snap peas.
    This sounds really good! Do you have time to post the whole recipe?
    TIA

Coincidentally, I made this exact same recipe yesterday, and I thought it was really good. I used a boneless pork loin, which is what the recipe calls for, but I don't see why you couldn't use a boned roast. It will just be a little more difficult to chop/shred the meat with the bone I think. Here's the recipe.

Thai Pork with Peanut Sauce
    Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

Cooker: Medium round or oval
    Setting and Cook Time: Low for 8 to 9 hours

One 2-pound boneless pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 pieces
    2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
    1/3 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

For serving:
    1/2 cup chopped green onions (white and some of the green)
    1/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
    2 limes, cut to make 8 to 12 wedges

1. Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Put the pork, bell peppers, teriyaki sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, and garlic in the cooker. Cover and cook on low until the pork is fork-tender, 8 to 9 hours.

2. Remove the pork from the cooker and coarsely chop. Add the peanut butter to the liquid in the cooker; stir well to dissolve the peanut butter and blend with the liquid to make the sauce. Return the pork to the sauce and toss to coat the meat evenly.

3. Serve in shallow bowls over hot jasmine rice, and sprinkle each serving with some of the green onions and peanuts. Pass the lime wedges.

Just a couple of things I altered slightly. I made my own teriyaki sauce using the America's Test Kitchen recipe from this season, so I had more than 1/3 cup, but I dumped it all in, about 2/3 to 3/4 cup probably. My roast was almost 3 pounds though, so I figured the extra liquid wouldn't hurt. I upped the garlic to probably 6 cloves (we love garlic ), and I used more peanut butter at the end, just put a couple of really big spoonfuls in. The red peppers basically disappear into the sauce, so I chopped up some extra pepper strips to serve it with, and also garnished with cilantro. We thought it was very tasty. Looking forward to the leftovers tonight. Mine cooked for about 9 hours, and was very, very tender.

Enjoy!
    Cheryl-If I was organized, I'd be dangerous.

Cheryl, thanks for posting the recipe. I had to wait until I got home to get the entire recipe. We had leftovers tonight and really enjoyed them.

Thanks, Cheryl!