Community Message Boards

Thread: Potluck Potato Casserole for Breakfast?

Potluck Potato Casserole for Breakfast?

My 23 year old son and four of his friend will be staying with us this weekend. I'm trying to come up with breakfast ideas that will be filling, yummy and easy . For those of you that have tried the potluck potato casserole, do you think it would go with scrambled eggs?

Thanks for any help!
    ~JW~

I like to make this one for brunch when we have guests, its soooo good!

Cracker Barrel Store Hash Brown Casserole II

Notes:
    Vania submitted this recipe. The recipe suggests you use Crazy-Janes Mixed Up Salt, is this not available in all areas.

Ingredients:
    1 bag frozen country style hash browns
    1/2 C. (or so) onion, chopped fine
    Jane's crazy mixed-up salt, to taste
    1 1/2 - 2 C. Colby cheese, shredded (I love cheese-- but in this case, more is not necessarily better)
    1 can cream of chicken soup

Preparation:
    Cook hash browns, onions, and season to taste in a skillet. You will need to add a little butter or oil, cook until the hash browns are tender, and brown. Drain the hash browns and set aside. Then mix together cheese and cream of chicken soup in a separate bowl Add hash browns to mixture, then transfer into a buttered 2 qt. casserole dish and cook at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Patissac, what is Jane's crazy mixed up salt (and can you tell me a substitute since I've never heard of it)? Also, how many servings does it make?

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

This is the one I always make when people come over. I have several who request it. Easy and good.

Farmer's Casserole

SOURCE: Better Homes and Gardens YEAR: February PAGE: 208

INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
    3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
    1 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    4 beaten eggs or 1 cup egg substitue
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Grease a 2 quart square baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight.) Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 40 to 45 minutes (or 55 to 60 minutes if made ahead and chilled) or till center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Calories 247 Fat 12g Protein 18g Carbs 18g Sodium 516mg

oh man...i'm craving breakfast now! too bad i have some NON breakfast in the crockpot at home right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Grace
    This is the one I always make when people come over. I have several who request it. Easy and good.

Farmer's Casserole

SOURCE: Better Homes and Gardens YEAR: February PAGE: 208

INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
    3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
    1 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    4 beaten eggs or 1 cup egg substitue
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Grease a 2 quart square baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight.) Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 40 to 45 minutes (or 55 to 60 minutes if made ahead and chilled) or till center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Calories 247 Fat 12g Protein 18g Carbs 18g Sodium 516mg
    Do you need to defroze the frozen potatos in this recipe?

You know, I really don't know! I never buy the frozen ones - I always buy the refrigerated ones (the ones that you buy near the eggs). So it's never been an issue for me. Perhaps someone else who has made this (and lots of people here on the board have) can answer that better. But my feeling is you probably don't need to defrost them. You might need to bake the casserole somewhat longer to compensate, but they are thin shreds and should defrost fairly quickly right in the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by novice baker
    Do you need to defroze the frozen potatos in this recipe?
    I've made this many, many times and always use the potatoes straight from the freezer. Also, in the event that you can't find the shredded kind (I didn't used to), the ones that are small cubes work just as well, and maybe even better.

This is one of those recipes I got early on after I came here and can't stop thanking folks enough, as the variations are only limited by your own imagination and what's in your pantry.

Bob
    Last edited by bobmark226; 03-29-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks! I just realised that I have a packet of the small cubed hash brown sitting in the freezer! Will definitely make it this weekend.

Oh yes the Farmer's casserole is a good one too! I used frozen straight from the freezer as well.

Jane's Crazy salt can be found in the herbs/salt isle. I have never bought it nor used it so your not missing out on anything. I would say just make your own mix of it with salt,pepper,garlic powder, and some parsley.

I'd say the casserole makes at least 6-8 servings.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.