Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Lost my wallet with SS card inside!

Help! Lost my wallet with SS card inside!

I am SO STUPID...I just went to the gas station, filled up, put my wallet on top of the car so I could clean the back windshield, and proceeded to drive away with my wallet still on top of the car. I live less than 1/4 mile away, and realized as soon as I pulled in to the driveway what I had done, immediately turned around to look for the wallet, but no dice. In the span of about 2 1/2 minutes, my wallet disappeared into oblivion. Or someone's pocket.

I'm working on my bankcard, credit cards, etc, but what about my social security card???? Argh!!!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I would definitely do a freeze on your credit -- This varies from state to state but it makes it impossible to open a line of credit without jumping through hoops.

Obviously also contact all the credit agencies and do a report. You might also want to spend the money to subscribe to a reporting service for a year which monitors any changes in your credit history.

Lastly -- and this is more for others than you -- don't ever carry your SS # around or any of your passwords. If you don't think you have critical numbers memorized, at least hide them in some form so that it isn't immediately apparent what they are.

beckms - I had the same thing happen to me awhile ago and lost my SS card, too. I believe if you go to their website, they have forms to fill out to get a new one and most areas have a local SS office where you can go and get a new one. I think I actually got a new one by mailling it in. Try here:

Social Security Administration

I'm sorry this happened. I know how frustrating it can be.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

How scary! I would definitely put a fraud alert on my ss#. Don't know if you can use that exact Web site, but it's a start.
    You have to protect that number with your life. Well, not quite, but almost.

Did you also stop in the gas station to ask if anyone returned the wallet? If it fell off by the pump, someone might have picked it up and given it to one of the attendants. It wouldn't hurt to ask (in case you hadn't).
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog
    If you don't think you have critical numbers memorized, at least hide them in some form so that it isn't immediately apparent what they are.
    Good point 'dog.

I am getting old enough where my brain is close to being shot and it is harder for me to memorize things. I disguise my pin numbers to look like phone numbers. I even have fake names next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
    I am getting old enough where my brain is close to being shot and it is harder for me to memorize things. I disguise my pin numbers to look like phone numbers. I even have fake names next to them.
    Now that's a good idea! I have a great memory for numbers, but sometimes I forget which one goes to which card!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

My daughter did the same thing. She called the gas station and they were waiting for her to call them. Everything was there!!!

It's a long shot....but I think I would look around the rear bumper on your car. It could have gotten lodged in there when it go pushed off the roof of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
    It's a long shot....but I think I would look around the rear bumper on your car. It could have gotten lodged in there when it go pushed off the roof of your car.
    Of if you have a Thule or similar type roof storage, it could be stuck under that. I know where of I speak.

Thanks everyone...I think it's just gone. We literally live something like 12 houses away from the gas station, so BF and I have both walked on both sides of the road between here and there, looking in bushes, in the gutters, in the drains, in trash cans...all I can think of is that someone was driving behind me and picked it up I already checked at both police stations, but no luck.

I cancelled all of my cards, but the thing that worries me is that there's no way to cancel a SS card, I can just get a copy made. Also, my checkbook was in the wallet... but at least I can monitor my checking account online while I go through the process of cancelling the account and starting a new one. What a PAIN!!!! See what happens when you're tired??

Oh well. At least I didn't have any cash in there. Sometimes it's good to be broke!
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

Quote Originally Posted by beckms
    I cancelled all of my cards, but the thing that worries me is that there's no way to cancel a SS card, I can just get a copy made. Also, my checkbook was in the wallet... but at least I can monitor my checking account online while I go through the process of cancelling the account and starting a new one. What a PAIN!!!! See what happens when you're tired??

Oh well. At least I didn't have any cash in there. Sometimes it's good to be broke!
    There is no charge for getting a dup SS card. You will have to go to your local SS office with a picture I.D. (I hope they didn't get lost) and they will send you a new SS in the mail in about a week.

I hate to tell you this but getting your SS card stolen is 10,000 times worse than getting multiple credit cards stolen. You can easily cancel your credit cards and not be liable for any money stolen. If someone has your SS number they can assume your identity and order new credit cards in your name through the mail and have them sent to a vacant house. Since the newly issued cards have a new number you will never know if any cards have been issued in your name. You will find out a few months later when creditors start calling your house wanting their money. Of course no amount of screaming "this is not my card" and "my identity has been stolen" will work to fend off the creditors.

I've known a couple of people who have had their identity stolen and they tried to straighten the mess out themselves first, then they ended up having to spend a lot of $,$$$ on attorneys that specialize in identity theft.

Also, my checkbook was in the wallet... but at least I can monitor my checking account online while I go through the process of cancelling the account and starting a new one. What a PAIN!!!! See what happens when you're tired??
    It the person who found your wallet is a thief, then you have given them PLENTY to go on - opening new accounts, etc. I would call the police and make a police report. Although there has been no identity theft yet - you really need to protect yourself in more ways than one. i don't want to scare you, but they may strike down the road when you least expect them too. Make sure you notify all 3 credit bureaus about putting a freeze on your account too. I hope the person who found it returns it to you.

I’m so sorry that happened. Definitely put on the fraud alert at the credit agencies. You can even do one for 7 years, otherwise you’ll have to renew them periodically. (I think one agency is only good for 3 months, one for 6 months and one for a year…if memory serves.)

While we’re on the subject, I was wondering if anybody has advice for me. We have a huge problem getting our correct mail….we’re always getting other neighbor’s mail (which we give to them but nobody ever gives us ours), and we have had many important documents…some with very sensitive information…lost in the mail. Now that we’re going through international adoption, we HAVE to get our correct mail. I actually need to renew my passport, but I’m terrified to send in it b/c I’m afraid it will never it make it back to me, and then somebody else will have my passport!
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

One of the persons that I know that got their identity stolen was the local sheriff. His identity got stolen at the hospital. The records clerk at the hospital gave her boyfriend the sheriff's SS # and other personal info.

The link below is what the sheriff learned from his experience and shows you what to do if you get in a situation like you are in.

http://www.caddosheriff.org/newidentitytheft.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX
    While we’re on the subject, I was wondering if anybody has advice for me. We have a huge problem getting our correct mail….we’re always getting other neighbor’s mail (which we give to them but nobody ever gives us ours), and we have had many important documents…some with very sensitive information…lost in the mail. Now that we’re going through international adoption, we HAVE to get our correct mail. I actually need to renew my passport, but I’m terrified to send in it b/c I’m afraid it will never it make it back to me, and then somebody else will have my passport!
    A friend of mine had this problem and called the post office that sorts/dellivers the mail. It was resolved, but I'm not sure how long it took. The post office needs to be aware if the carriers are not being careful. Other than that, you may want to put your mail on hold for a period of time when you are expecting important things, or you can open a PO box and send important documents there. I would start with call the post office though.

Here's a link to the Federal Trade Commission on the subject you might find interesting. It gives great info.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...dtheftmini.htm

I would go back to the gas station and check the trash cans.....someone might have just taken the cash/credit cards and thrown it in the trash.

Also, If you had credit cards start calling the company to find out where they are using them and check those dumpsters......really. Good luck.
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Quote Originally Posted by emptyspool
    I would go back to the gas station and check the trash cans.....someone might have just taken the cash/credit cards and thrown it in the trash.

Also, If you had credit cards start calling the company to find out where they are using them and check those dumpsters......really. Good luck.
    Very good advice!!
    Many years ago when I was a new teacher, I had my wallet stolen from my purse while my class and I were out of the room. I did all the usual -- notify police, cc's, get a new DL, etc. Anyway, about 3 months later, my wallet turned up -- seems the thief just grabbed the money and then dumped my wallet in a toilet tank in the men's room. After a while, it must have made its way under the flapper and the toilet kept running. When the janitor went to fix the "problem" he found my wallet ...
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist

Good news! Someone turned in my wallet at the police station about 5 hours later. Nothing was missing, but I had already canceled everything anyway. I guess the only risk at this point is that the person could have copied my SS#, and I will keep an eye on my credit scores (I do anyway), but I'm inclined to think that whoever found it didn't rifle through it.

Yay!
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

Good news! Someone turned in my wallet at the police station about 5 hours later. Nothing was missing, but I had already canceled everything anyway. I guess the only risk at this point is that the person could have copied my SS#, and I will keep an eye on my credit scores (I do anyway), but I'm inclined to think that whoever found it didn't rifle through it.

Yay!
    Yay! I am very happy for you. I think you are wise to keep an eye on your credit scores, but I am thinking that if it was turned in, you are probably okay.

Now in my motherly voice.Take your SSN card out of your wallet!

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

Yay!
    I am happy for you!

I wonder if the police station has any info on who turned it in. If it was a dishonest person with a criminal record I feel that the last thing they would do is walk into a police station.

OMG. Would you believe that I completely forgot to remove my SS card before driving around today? I'm hopeless.

The police could only tell me that it was a young female who turned in my wallet. I like to think she was just doing the right thing.
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

This is a good reminder that the majority of people are still decent & honest.

It's great that your wallet was turned in, but it's still important to put a fraud alert on your social security number. I did that after my purse was stolen in Memphis, and now any time I apply for credit, I have to verify everything. Repeatedly.