Community Message Boards

Thread: Tide HE in regular washing machine?

Tide HE in regular washing machine?

DH did the Costco run today and came home with Tide HE (high efficiency) detergent for use in HE machines. It's all they had besides Tide with Downey, which I didn't want. Can the low-sudsing, HE detergent be used in a regular machine? I've looked on the Tide website, and it doesn't say either way--just that regular detergent can't be used in an HE machine.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I'm sure it can. What I have read is that they add stuff to make the detergent suds more because it makes people think it cleans better, but it isn't really necessary. I see no reason why the HE can't be used in a regular machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookin4Love
    I've looked on the Tide website, and it doesn't say either way--just that regular detergent can't be used in an HE machine.
    This isn't entirely true. Many HE machines can use regular detergent if you use a lot less of it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use HE detergent in a regular machine.

How weird! I bought HE detergent on accident last week. I have been using it in my regular washer without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    This isn't entirely true. Many HE machines can use regular detergent if you use a lot less of it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use HE detergent in a regular machine.
    I second this. I use the HE soap because I bought the HE machines. A lot less soap is used and there are a lot less suds than regular soap. I think you could use it without any problem. Let us know how it works for you.

I agree with everyone else.....but I'm just mad that my Costco has NEVER had the HE! :mad:

(I've had bad luck using regular detergent in my HE washer -- even when I used only a tiny amount).

This is good to know because it seems that lately I can't find Tide Free at my grocery store, except in the HE version or the powder version (which is okay, but I prefer liquid).