Community Message Boards

Thread: can I make marzipan from almond paste?

can I make marzipan from almond paste?

I can't seem to find a recipe. I need marzipan but have a lot of plain ol' almond paste. Every marzipan recipe I've found so far calls for ground almonds, sugar, egg whites, etc. Anyone have any ideas on how to turn almond paste into marzipan? Thanks!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I found this info for you, hope it helps:

Marzipan

Vicci, is it specifically marzipan you need or is it possible to use the almond paste in it's place. Most people do use marzipan in place of almond paste, I think, as that's what is most easily available. Depending on the use you have in mind you can use the almond paste in place of marzipan. Marzipan has a higher proportion of sugar than the paste (and thus less almond). If you can't find or order marzipan and need it you could try adding sugar (icing aka confectioner's) and perhaps a bit of beaten egg white or a few drops of almond extract or corn syrup, kneading them in or using a food processor followed by kneading. Just guessing here, mind you. I do make my own paste and some recipe call the same product paste and marzipan, no longer distinguishing the difference as in the past.
    Good luck.

Editing to add: or you can do what the link above suggests, now that I read it!
    Cheers! Andy

Thanks LLR. That Hormel data base comes up often in my searches and has some good info in it. And when I think of Hormel, all I visualize is canned ham!

Anyway, it calls for raw egg whites and the mixture is not cooked. So I'm a little leery of that. Which brings me to Reply #2--

Andy, I 'm making the Algerian Stuffed Dates which is a CL recipe (5/01). Basically, tint the marzipan green and fill each date with a bit of it. I could eat almond paste by the spoonful, so maybe (especially with the sweetness of the dates), adding sugar and egg whites to the almond paste to make marzipan would be unnecessary?

Any opinions on whether I should stuff the dates with almond paste or make marzipan to stuff them with? THANKS!!!
    Vicci

I think you could use your almond paste for that purpose with no problem whatsoever. I think that having actual marzipan is most important for molding and shaping things, not so much for fillings. Especially if you like the almond paste just as is already, there's no reason why you couldn't use it.

I have to agree with Grace - the almond paste would be good (even though I don't have the recipe. Whole almonds are probably more traditional, though almond paste or marzipan would work, imo. Try a whole date (pitted) with an almond and see what you think, and try one with some of that almond paste you have and see what you think. I'll bet they're both good.
    Cheers! Andy

Thanks Grace and Andy! I think that if I had to make the marzipan, I would have had to bag the recipe (even though I bought MedJool sp?? dates especially for it) since I'm seriously running out of time and still have a to-do list a mile long... I'm a "date newbie" (is there such a thing?) and am looking forward to trying it. I have a feeling that my family will look at this recipe as too unfamiliar and I'll be the only one eating them, but I don't think I'll mind.
    Vicci