Community Message Boards

Thread: Sub for Marsala wine???

Sub for Marsala wine???

Could I substitute chicken or beef broth for the Marsala wine in this recipe?? It's used to deglaze the pan drippings - TIA

Pork Rolls with Apple Marmalade
    “Involtini di Maiale alle Mele”

4 Tbsp butter, divided
    2 granny Smith apples, peeled and cubed
    1 pork loin (about 2 lbs)
    2 thick slices pancetta, cut into 4 pces
    4 sprigs sage, plus extra
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    ½ C. marsala wine

In skillet over med heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add apple and sauté for 5 mins or until carmelized. Set aside and keep warm. Cut pork into 6 pieces. Arrange 2 pieces of pork with a sprig or sage and a piece of pancetta in between. Skewer with toothpicks to keep secure during cooking. Repeat with remaining pork, sage and pancetta until you have 3 pork-pancetta skewers.
    In skillet over high heat warm remaining 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season skewers with salt and pepper, add to skillet and sear on all sides. Deglaze with Marsala and cook until wine has evaporated or until desired doneness. To serve, place apples on platter. Arrange pork on top and garnish with julienned sage leaves.
    Serves 4

Marsala is a distinctive flavor but you could sub any other sweet white wine.

My advice would be to buy a bottle of marsala. It is cheap and lasts forever on the pantry like sherry and when a recipe calls for it (especially 1/2 cup as this recipe does), it would be missed in terms of a substitute. I keep sherry, mirin, sake, vermouth and marsala in the pantry for recipes.

I second blazedog. marsala has a wonderful, intense flavor. Broth will not be the same. I don't care for drinking it but I do enjoy it in recipes. It lasts forever and is not expensive. It won't have an noticeable alcohol flavor, just the marsala flavor.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

From Cook's Thesaurus:

"This popular Sicilian fortified wine is Italy's answer to sherry and Madeira. It's mostly used as a cooking wine and is a key ingredient in many Italian dishes, including zabaglione, tiramisu, and veal scaloppini. Marsalas are graded according to their sweetness and age. The sweetest Marsalas are called "dolce," followed by "demisecco," and then "secco," which are the driest. Ranked from youngest to oldest, the age grades are "fine," "superiore," "superiore riserva," "vergine," and "stravecchio."
    Substitutes: Madeira OR equal parts sherry and sweet vermouth OR sherry"

Will the alcohol cook off enough to feed the dish to a 2 and 1 yr old????

Well, if you do the math at 4 servings the most the kids would get would be 2 tablespoons of wine but considering their size they likely won't eat a full serving. Of that, about 17-20% is alcohol and some of that would cook off. I think its a judgement call on your part whether you find that number acceptable or not. Maybe if you are uncomfortable you could do half wine and half broth?

Robyn

If you're concerned about the alcohol, why put any sauce at all on their portion? Surely you'll de-skewer their pork anyway, so that would explain why theirs looks different, if they even notice at all. Or just wipe the back of the serving spoon over their portions -- that would give it the look of having sauce, while providing a minimum amount of it.